Differentiate (answers not to be simplified)

In summary: But when any of us graders saw Dan's papers with basically no work shown, he always got 100% credit for correct answers, since he was well known to do complex problems and calculations in his head.LOL
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
I differentiated the following questions; however, I don't know if I simplified any of them..
Relevant Equations
n/a
IMG_3912.jpg

Thank you in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
ttpp1124 said:
Homework Statement:: I differentiated the following questions; however, I don't know if I simplified any of them..
Relevant Equations:: n/a

View attachment 261567
Thank you in advance :)
There a couple errors. Parts a), c) and d) are fine, but b) has an error.
For b) in the 2nd line of your work you have 2x in the numerator. It shouldn't be part of that fraction. I think you also have a sign error when you used the quotient rule.

Likes berkeman
Also, in the future, please post only one, or at most two, problems at a time. Squeezing so much writing in a relatively small space makes it hard for some of us to read.

Likes berkeman
Mark44 said:
Also, in the future, please post only one, or at most two, problems at a time. Squeezing so much writing in a relatively small space makes it hard for some of us to read.
Thank you for reviewing my work. I'm sorry for cramming the questions together, will submit separate questions next time!

Likes berkeman
ttpp1124 said:
(answers not to be simplified)
Just curious -- why would that be part of a math problem statement? Is that some standard format for some types of math classes or problem types? I don't think I've seen that before. Thanks. :smile:

berkeman said:
Just curious -- why would that be part of a math problem statement? Is that some standard format for some types of math classes or problem types? I don't think I've seen that before. Thanks. :smile:
Not simplifying makes it easier for the grader to see that the differentiation was done correctly. If the result had been further simplified, the grader couldn't tell that an incorrect answer was the result of an error at the differentiation step or later as an algebra error.

Likes sysprog and berkeman
How else to get students through calculus who can't do algebra?

• Haha
Likes vela, berkeman, epenguin and 1 other person
LCKurtz said:
Cheap, fast, and reliable. Pick any two.
I like your sigline -- it reminds me of an adage about alcohol -- there's too much, too often, and too long -- pick any two and you might get away with that, at least for a while, but you can't get away with all 3 -- well, we're all mortal to begin with, but let's please make that later, rather than sooner, if we can.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
How else to get students through calculus who can't do algebra?
Well, maybe teach them how to count things one-by-one, and then patiently wait for them to get impatient -- that shouldn't take too long -- then show the rapid road . . .

Mark44 said:
Not simplifying makes it easier for the grader to see that the differentiation was done correctly. If the result had been further simplified, the grader couldn't tell that an incorrect answer was the result of an error at the differentiation step or later as an algebra error.
Back in undergrad, I worked the summer between my junior and senior years for Tektronix up in Oregon. Another EE student who was one year behind me also worked at Tek that summer, and we were roommates that summer and became friends. He was a super-bright math prodigy (with a very practical EE side), and he regularly competed in and won major math competitions.

I was a TA the next year in a class that he happened to be taking, so I ended up grading some of his homework assignments. The policy was always to take off points when a student did now show adequate intermediate steps in their work, on the assumption that they were just cheating by copying down the answer from somewhere else. But when any of us graders saw Dan's papers with basically no work shown, he always got 100% credit for correct answers, since he was well known to do complex problems and calculations in his head. LOL

:cool:

Likes sysprog
berkeman said:
Back in undergrad, I worked the summer between my junior and senior years for Tektronix up in Oregon. Another EE student who was one year behind me also worked at Tek that summer, and we were roommates that summer and became friends. He was a super-bright math prodigy (with a very practical EE side), and he regularly competed in and won major math competitions.

I was a TA the next year in a class that he happened to be taking, so I ended up grading some of his homework assignments. The policy was always to take off points when a student did now show adequate intermediate steps in their work, on the assumption that they were just cheating by copying down the answer from somewhere else. But when any of us graders saw Dan's papers with basically no work shown, he always got 100% credit for correct answers, since he was well known to do complex problems and calculations in his head. LOL

:cool:
I remember in the '70s telling a guy to 'use the Tektronix', even though it had an orange screen, when he wanted to show a rotatable cube . . .

Likes berkeman

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. It is often used in calculus to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, you need to use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule depending on the form of the function. These rules involve taking the derivative of each term in the function and combining them using algebraic operations.

3. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, while integration is the process of finding the area under a curve. In other words, differentiation is the opposite of integration.

4. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions. It is used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics, to solve real-world problems and make predictions.

5. Can differentiation be applied to any function?

Yes, differentiation can be applied to any function, as long as the function is continuous and differentiable. This means that the function must have a well-defined slope at every point on its graph.