Differentiate the following. How do i solve y''(x) = -y ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between y''(x) and d2y/dx2, and how to find y(x) through double differentiation. The conversation also mentions using e^kx to solve for k and the possibility of a negative sign in the resulting equation.
CosmicC
Member warned that the homework template is not optional
Is y''(x) same as d2y/dx2.
As it's y''(x) so how do we find out y(x) and if it can be taken as a double derivative, i was having doubts in this.
Double differentiation of y is equal to -y...
e^ something maybe ? and sign should change ?

Physics news on Phys.org
CosmicC said:
Is y''(x) same as d2y/dx2.
Yes
As it's y''(x) so how do we find out y(x) and if it can be taken as a double derivative, i was having doubts in this.
experience :smile:

Double differentiation of y is equal to -y...
e^ something maybe ? and sign should change ?
Good idea. Try ##e^{kx} ## differentiate twice and solve !

BvU said:
Yes
experience :smile:

Good idea. Try ##e^{kx} ## differentiate twice and solve !
Thanks a lot for replying. Can you please ellaborate?

Take the derivative: ##y = e^{kx}\rightarrow {dy\over dx} = ## ?
Do that once more to get ##y''##
that has to be equal to ##-y = - e^{kx} \quad## -- an equation that you should be able to solve for ##k##

BvU said:
Take the derivative: ##y = e^{kx}\rightarrow {dy\over dx} = ## ?
Do that once more to get ##y''##
that has to be equal to ##-y = - e^{kx} \quad## -- an equation that you should be able to solve for ##k##
Thanks i'll try and post the answer or difficulty i have.

1. What is the meaning of "differentiate" in this equation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. In other words, it is a way to find the slope of a curve at any given point.

2. How do I solve for y''(x)?

To solve for y''(x), you need to take the second derivative of the function y(x). This means finding the derivative of the derivative. In other words, you need to differentiate the function twice.

3. What does the notation y''(x) mean?

The notation y''(x) represents the second derivative of the function y(x). It is read as "y double prime of x."

4. How do I find the value of y when y''(x) is equal to -y?

To find the value of y, you need to solve the differential equation y''(x) = -y. This involves using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. The final result will be a general solution that can be used to find specific values of y for different values of x.

5. Can this equation be solved analytically or numerically?

This equation can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding a general solution using mathematical techniques, while numerical solutions involve using algorithms to approximate a solution. The choice of which method to use depends on the complexity of the equation and the accuracy required.