Differentiating Parametric Functions

In summary, the conversation was about finding the derivative of y with respect to x, given the equations x = 2cos(t) and y = 2sin(t). It was determined that the derivative is -cot(t) and the book gave a different answer. The conversation then led to the use of trigonometric identities and the possibility of simplifying the derivative using a right triangle and without using trig functions.
danago
Gold Member

Given:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
x = 2\cos t \\
y = 2\sin t \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

find [tex]
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}
[/tex]

I started by finding dy/dt and dx/dt

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\frac{{dy}}{{dt}} = 2\cos t \\
\frac{{dx}}{{dt}} = - 2\sin t \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Now, dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt)

so:

[tex]
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = \frac{{2\cos t}}{{ - 2\sin t}} = - \cot t
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
x = 2\cos t \\
\therefore t = \cos ^{ - 1} \frac{x}{2} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Substituting that into my dy/dx which is currently in terms of t:

[tex]
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = - \cot t = - \cot \cos ^{ - 1} \frac{x}{2}
[/tex]

Now, my book gives a completely different answer, which isn't even in terms of any trigonometric function. Where have i gone wrong?

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that sin2t + cos2t = 1? ;)

neutrino said:
Do you know that sin2t + cos2t = 1? ;)

Yep i do. Not quite seeing where it comes into it though :cry:

EDIT: ahhh now I've got it. Square my x and y functions, and then add them, which eliminates the parameter :) Thanks for that.

Last edited:
You could also continue on your original course. cot(cos^(-1)(x/2)) can be written without use of trig functions. Draw a right triangle containing an angle cos^(-1)(x/2).

1. What does it mean to differentiate a parametric function?

Differentiating a parametric function means finding the rate of change or slope at any given point on a curve described by a set of parametric equations. This involves finding the derivatives of each individual function in the set.

2. How is differentiation different for parametric functions compared to regular functions?

With regular functions, the derivative can be found by simply taking the derivative of the function with respect to the independent variable. However, with parametric functions, each individual function must be differentiated separately and then combined to find the derivative of the overall parametric curve.

3. What is the relationship between the parametric equations and the derivatives?

The derivatives of the parametric equations describe the slope of the curve at any given point. This means that the values of the derivatives can be used to find information about the concavity, critical points, and extrema of the parametric curve.

4. How are implicit differentiation and parametric differentiation related?

Implicit differentiation can be thought of as a special case of parametric differentiation, where the independent variable is not explicitly defined in terms of the dependent variable. In this case, the chain rule and implicit differentiation rules can be applied to find the derivative of the implicit function.

5. Are there any applications of parametric differentiation in real-world scenarios?

Yes, parametric differentiation is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world phenomena. For example, it can be used to determine the optimal path for a projectile or to analyze the behavior of a stock market index over time.