Differentiating with respect to a constant

In summary, the justification for differentiating some integrals with respect to constants in order to obtain results for them, i.e. \frac{∂}{∂α}\int e^{-αx^{2}}dx=\int-x^{2}e^{-αx^{2}}dx, seems to be that α is a constant, so it seems a little confusing to even talk about the partial derivative. However, this differentiation is valid as long as f is a multivariate function which depends on both x and α.
unchained1978
Quick question on typical integration/differentiation. What is the justification for differentiating some integrals with respect to constants in order to obtain results for them, i.e. [itex]\frac{∂}{∂α}[/itex][itex]\int e^{-αx^{2}}dx=\int-x^{2}e^{-αx^{2}}dx[/itex]? It seems to me α is a constant, so it seems a little confusing to even talk about the partial derivative. I guess if you treat the entire integral to be a multivariable function of both x and α, [itex]f(x,α)[/itex] then it's somewhat justified, though I could just as well replace alpha with some number and we'd be stuck with something like [itex]\frac{∂}{∂8}[/itex] which seems very sketchy.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess if you treat the entire integral to be a multivariable function of both x and α, f(x,α) then it's somewhat justified
... that is exactly what is happening.
though I could just as well replace alpha with some number
... you can say the same about x. There is nothing special about the letter x that says it has to be a variable. It may be that alpha is something like [itex]-i p_{x}/\hbar[/itex] in which case your "constant" has physical significance.

Simon Bridge said:
... you can say the same about x. There is nothing special about the letter x that says it has to be a variable.
Simon Bridge said:
... that is exactly what is happening. ... you can say the same about x. There is nothing special about the letter x that says it has to be a variable. It may be that alpha is something like [itex]-i p_{x}/\hbar[/itex] in which case your "constant" has physical significance.
The problem I'm having with this though is that x is understood in this sense to be a variable, and therefore [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] is a measure of how sensitive some function f(x) is to a change in x. But when dealing with partials with respect to constants, this intuitive definition fails, because functions can't change with respect to changes in constants, otherwise they wouldn't be constants! I'm not questioning the mathematical machinery behind this, more so I'm curious as to the reasoning you have to provide when doing so. It seems it would have to go further than simply assuming f to be a multivariate function to differentiate in that sense.

How are you determining that "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" is a constant? In the example you give,
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial\alpha}\int e^{-\alpha x^2}dx= -\int x^2e^{-\alpha x^2}dx[/tex]
[itex]\alpha[/itex] is definitely NOT a constant.

What he said: I think you have to give up this idea about what makes a constant and what makes a variable. d/da tells you how the function is sensitive to changes in parameter a. The role a plays in the equation depends on where it came from.

In physics x is usually a parameter representing 1D space, and t is the same for time. But it does not have to be. These letters are just labels for ideas.
In math, x often stands for the parameter of interest in a function and has no special meaning. Others tend to be coefficients and parameters which may or may not be held constant. It is perfectly valid to ask what would happen if a parameter were allowed to vary.

You could as easily write:[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int e^{-x\alpha^2}d\alpha[/tex]...

Last edited:

What does it mean to differentiate with respect to a constant?

Differentiating with respect to a constant means finding the rate of change of a variable with respect to a constant value. This is done by taking the derivative of the variable with respect to the constant.

Why is it important to differentiate with respect to a constant?

Differentiating with respect to a constant allows us to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics and economics, where understanding rates of change is crucial.

How do you differentiate with respect to a constant?

To differentiate with respect to a constant, we treat the constant as a variable and use the same rules of differentiation as we would for any other variable. This means taking the derivative of the variable with respect to the constant, using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule as needed.

What is the result of differentiating with respect to a constant?

The result of differentiating with respect to a constant is a new expression that represents the rate of change of the variable in relation to the constant. This can be represented as a function or an equation, depending on the specific problem being solved.

Can you give an example of differentiating with respect to a constant?

Yes, for example, if we have the equation y = 2x + 5, then differentiating with respect to the constant 2 would give us the derivative dy/d2 = x. This represents the rate of change of y with respect to the constant 2.