Differentiation - chain and product rule.

In summary, the conversation is about someone helping a colleague with math who is studying for an OU course. They are working on differentiating a function and using the answer to show the derivative of another function. The attempt at a solution involves using the chain rule and product rule, and the conversation ends with a reminder to use the fact that sin^2(x)= 1- cos^2(x).
xxChrisxx
It's been years since I've done maths properly so I'm rusty with it. I'm helping out a colleague at work who is studying maths for an OU course.

Homework Statement

Part 1: Differentiate function.
f(x) = e^(0.5x+cos(x))

Part 2: Use answer from part 1 to show.
g(x) = (1+2sinx)(e^(0.5x+cos(x)))
Has the derivative:
g'(x) = 0.5(4cos^2(x)+4cos(x)-3)(e^(0.5x+cos(x)))

The Attempt at a Solution

A=e^(0.5x+cos(x))

Part 1:
Using chain rule
f'(x) = A(0.5-sin(x))

Part 2:
Using this and the product rule I get.

g'(x) = 0.5A(4cos(x)-4sin^2(x)+1)

Which isn't the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
xxChrisxx said:
It's been years since I've done maths properly so I'm rusty with it. I'm helping out a colleague at work who is studying maths for an OU course.

Homework Statement

Part 1: Differentiate function.
f(x) = e^(0.5x+cos(x))

Part 2: Use answer from part 1 to show.
g(x) = (1+2sinx)(e^(0.5x+cos(x)))
Has the derivative:
g'(x) = 0.5(4cos^2(x)+4cos(x)-3)(e^(0.5x+cos(x)))

The Attempt at a Solution

A=e^(0.5x+cos(x))

Part 1:
Using chain rule
f'(x) = A(0.5-sin(x))

Part 2:
Using this and the product rule I get.

g'(x) = 0.5A(4cos(x)-4sin^2(x)+1)

Which isn't the same.
Yes, it is the same. Use the fact that [itex]sin^2(x)= 1- cos^2(x)[/itex].

Ahh I forgot about that, thanks.

1. What is the chain rule in differentiation?

The chain rule in differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you apply the chain rule in differentiation?

To apply the chain rule in differentiation, first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and plug in the inner function. Finally, multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.

3. What is the product rule in differentiation?

The product rule in differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function plus the second function times the derivative of the first function.

4. How do you apply the product rule in differentiation?

To apply the product rule in differentiation, first identify the two functions being multiplied together. Then, take the derivative of the first function and multiply it by the second function. Next, take the derivative of the second function and multiply it by the first function. Finally, add these two products together to get the derivative of the product of the two functions.

5. What is the difference between the chain rule and the product rule in differentiation?

The chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function, while the product rule is used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. The chain rule involves taking the derivative of the outer function and the inner function, while the product rule involves taking the derivative of both functions and adding them together.