1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation concept problem

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i am suddenly stuck when differentiating. are my concepts right?

if we integrate cosx/sinx, then since cosx is the differentiated form of sinx, then integrating d(sinx)/sinx = ln|sinx|

so now, if i have : integrate z/(1-z2)1/2

since z is the differentiated form of the denominator(barring the minus sign), (1-z2)1/2,
    then integrating d((1-z2)1/2)/(1-z2)1/2,

shouldn't i get ln (1-z2)1/2 ? but the answer is without the ln, and true enough when i try to differentiate the ln (1-z2)1/2, i don't get back my original function.

so where did i go wrong?
    thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's definitely true that [itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{d(\sqrt{1-z^2})}{\sqrt{1-z^2}}=\ln|\sqrt{1-z^2}|+C[/itex]

But notice that [itex]\displaystyle d(\sqrt{1-z^2})=-\frac{z}{\sqrt{1-z^2}}dz\,.[/itex]

So, [itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{d(\sqrt{1-z^2})}{\sqrt{1-z^2}}=-\int\frac{z\,dz}{\sqrt{1-z^2}}\,.[/itex]

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3
    er i don't quite follow what you are saying?

the answer given for [itex]\int\frac{z\,dz}{\sqrt{1-z^2}}\,.[/itex] is just - (1-z2)1/2

if i understand what you are saying, you are implying that the answer should be ln(1-z2)1/2

???

5. Oct 15, 2011 #4
    oh i see what you are trying to say.

just that i think you have a typo at the last expression

thanks!

6. Oct 15, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's see:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dz}(\sqrt{1-z^2})=-\frac{z}{\sqrt{1-z^2}}\,.[/itex]

So, the last one seems right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook