Solve Derivative of y = x2sinx

In summary: AND exponent.edit: Oh, I think i understand now. if you have a constant to the x power, like 52x then it becomes 52x ln5 ⋅2No, it would be something like y5x ln y ⋅5 ... or something different?
goonking

Homework Statement

y = x 2sinx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so If I see an x in an exponent, I would want to use ln to 'bring it out', right?

ln y = ln (x 2sinx) = ln x + ln 2sinx = ln x + sinx ln2

now I take the derivative :

y'/y = 1/x + cosx ln2

multiply both sides by y

y' = [1/x + cosx ln2] (x 2sinx)

is everything correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it looks correct. You could have also done a product rule + chain rule expansion. That way you could avoid the implicit form,

Brian T said:
Yes it looks correct. You could have also done a product rule + chain rule expansion. That way you could avoid the implicit form,
ok, cool. Thanks!

goonking said:

Homework Statement

y = x 2sinx

Is x multiplied by 2sin x, or is it something else?

SteamKing said:
Is x multiplied by 2sin x, or is it something else?
yes , multiplied.

Brian T said:
could you show your work for that?

goonking said:

Homework Statement

y = x 2sinx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so If I see an x in an exponent, I would want to use ln to 'bring it out', right?

ln y = ln (x 2sinx) = ln x + ln 2sinx = ln x + sinx ln2

now I take the derivative :

y'/y = 1/x + cosx ln2

multiply both sides by y

y' = [1/x + cosx ln2] (x 2sinx)

is everything correct?

It is correct, but should be re-written as ##y' = 2^{\sin(x)} + \ln(2)\, \cos(x)\, x \, 2^{\sin(x)}##. The way YOU wrote it would not allow you to easily get ##y'(0)## because it would involve the "illegal" fraction ##\frac{0}{0}##. The way I wrote it presents no problems at ##x = 0##.

goonking said:
could you show your work for that?

y = x 2sinx

Product rule says [itex]y'(x) = f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x)[/itex]. Choose f(x) = x, and g(x) = 2sinx. (although order doesn't really matter)

Now, all you have to do is compute the derivative of f, the derivative of g, and then plug. The derivative of g also involves the chain rule. Try figuring it out for yourself, it should be more rewarding. You already know the answer so you'll know if you've got it. Good luck :D

Ray Vickson said:
It is correct, but should be re-written as ##y' = 2^{\sin(x)} + \ln(2)\, \cos(x)\, x \, 2^{\sin(x)}##. The way YOU wrote it would not allow you to easily get ##y'(0)## because it would involve the "illegal" fraction ##\frac{0}{0}##. The way I wrote it presents no problems at ##x = 0##.
Wait, how did you get 2sin(x)+ln(2)cos(x) when I got 1/x + ln2 cosx?

Brian T said:
y = x 2sinx

Product rule says [itex]y'(x) = f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x)[/itex]. Choose f(x) = x, and g(x) = 2sinx. (although order doesn't really matter)

Now, all you have to do is compute the derivative of f, the derivative of g, and then plug. The derivative of g also involves the chain rule. Try figuring it out for yourself, it should be more rewarding. You already know the answer so you'll know if you've got it. Good luck :D
but to get the derivative of 2sinx, I need to use ln right? is there any other way?

goonking said:
Wait, how did you get 2sin(x)+ln(2)cos(x) when I got 1/x + ln2 cosx?

He just distributed the term you had outside your parenthesis.

goonking said:
but to get the derivative of 2sinx, I need to use ln right? is there any other way?

The derivative of some scalar a, raised to the x, is:
[itex] \frac{d}{dx}[a^x] = (a^x)ln(a)[/itex] ... as a side note unrelated to this problem, think about when the scalar a = e.
So, applying the chain rule the derivative of scalar a, raised to some f(x), is:
[itex] \frac{d}{dx}[a^{f(x)}] = (a^{f(x)})ln(a)f'(x)[/itex]

Brian T said:
He just distributed the term you had outside your parenthesis.
The derivative of some scalar a, raised to the x, is:
[itex] \frac{d}{dx}[a^x] = (a^x)ln(a)[/itex] ... as a side note unrelated to this problem, think about when the scalar a = e.
So, applying the chain rule the derivative of scalar a, raised to some f(x), is:
[itex] \frac{d}{dx}[a^{f(x)}] = (a^{f(x)})ln(a)f'(x)[/itex]
scalar a = constant right?

also, this whole time, i thought [itex] \frac{d}{dx}[a^x] = (x)ln(a)[/itex] , i thought you only move the exponent out, but you moved both the base AND exponent.

edit: Oh, I think i understand now. if you have a constant to the x power, like 52x then it becomes 52x ln5 ⋅2

but what if it is a variable to a power of another variable, for example y5x

is it going to be y5x ln y ⋅5 ?

Last edited:
goonking said:
scalar a = constant right?

also, this whole time, i thought [itex] \frac{d}{dx}[a^x] = (x)ln(a)[/itex] , i thought you only move the exponent out, but you moved both the base AND exponent.

edit: Oh, I think i understand now. if you have a constant to the x power, like 52x then it becomes 52x ln5 ⋅2

but what if it is a variable to a power of another variable, for example y5x
Here's how it works. As long as x > 0, you can write x as ##e^{ln(x)}##.
So ##5^{2x} = (e^{ln(5)})^{2x}##
Using one of the rules of exponents, the above is equal to ##e^{2x*ln(5)}##. This form is much easier to differentiate.
goonking said:
is it going to be y5x ln y ⋅5 ?

Likes SammyS

1. What does "derivative" mean in this context?

The derivative of a function is a measure of how the function changes with respect to its input. In this case, the derivative of y = x^2sinx would tell us how the output (y) changes as the input (x) changes.

2. What is the general process for solving derivatives?

The general process for solving derivatives involves using mathematical rules and formulas to find the derivative of a given function. This includes using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule, among others.

3. How do you apply the power rule to solve this specific derivative?

The power rule states that the derivative of x^n is n*x^(n-1). To apply this to our function, we can rewrite it as y = x^2 * sinx and use the power rule to find the derivative of x^2, which is 2x. This gives us the final answer of y' = 2xsinx.

4. When do you use the product rule to solve derivatives?

The product rule is used when the function being differentiated is a product of two or more functions. In this case, our function y = x^2sinx can be rewritten as the product of two functions, x^2 and sinx, so we would use the product rule to find its derivative.

5. Can you provide a step-by-step solution for solving this derivative?

Yes, here is a step-by-step solution for finding the derivative of y = x^2sinx:
1. Rewrite the function as y = x^2 * sinx
2. Apply the product rule, which states that the derivative of f(x) * g(x) is f'(x) * g(x) + f(x) * g'(x)
3. Find the derivative of x^2 using the power rule: 2x
4. Find the derivative of sinx using the chain rule: cosx
5. Substitute these values into the product rule formula: y' = 2xsinx + x^2cosx
6. Simplify the expression to get the final answer: y' = 2xsinx.