Differentiation - finding equation of normal to curve

The mistake was in the calculation of dy/dx. Using the chain rule, we have:dy/dx = (1/2)(6x+3)^(-1/2)(6)= 3(6x+3)^(-1/2)= 3/(2x+1)^(1/2)This matches the result from WolframAlpha. So, in summary, the equation of the normal to the curve y=(6x+3)^(1/2) at the point where x=13 is 3/(2x+1)^(1/2).
studentxlol

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the normal to the curve y=(6x+3)^(1/2) at the point for which x=13.

Homework Equations

dy/dx=dy/du*du/dx

y-y1=m(x-x1)

The Attempt at a Solution

y=(6x+3)^(1/2)
dy/dx=1/3(6x+3)^2

gradient of normal = -3(6x+3)^2

at x=13, dy/dx=-3(6x13+3)^2=19683.

obviously a silly answer and the textbook disagrees.

So at this point I could simplify y=(6x+3)^(1/2) to y=(2x+1)^2 maybe? Even after doing this, I end up with an even slightly smaller silly answer and the textbook still disagrees, unless the textbook is wrong, although this is highly unlikely.

HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
You will want to start by checking this:
studentxlol said:
dy/dx=1/3(6x+3)^2

Hootenanny said:
You will want to start by checking this:

I inputted y=(6x+3)^(1/2) into wolfram alpha and the answer came out to be:

√3/(2x+1)^(1/2)

I'm confused. I used the chain rule to get:

subu=6x+3 so that y=u^1/2
dy/du=1/2u^-(1/2)=1/2(6x+3)^-(1/2) and du/dx=6

=> dy/dx=dy/du*du/dx=3(6x+3)^-(1/2).

?

Last edited:
Work out the derivative by hand. It's straightforward.

I put that into WolframAlpha and got the correct answer.

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. It involves finding the derivative of a function, which represents the rate of change of the function at that point.

2. How do you find the equation of the normal to a curve?

To find the equation of the normal to a curve at a given point, you first need to find the derivative of the function at that point. Then, you can use the formula y - y1 = m(x - x1), where m is the slope of the tangent line at that point and (x1, y1) is the given point on the curve. Finally, you can rearrange the equation to get the equation of the normal in the form y = mx + b, where b is the y-intercept.

3. What is the difference between a tangent and a normal to a curve?

A tangent line to a curve is a line that touches the curve at one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point. A normal line, on the other hand, is a line that is perpendicular to the tangent line and intersects the curve at the same point. In other words, the tangent line is parallel to the curve at that point, while the normal line is perpendicular to the curve at that point.

4. Can the equation of the normal to a curve be found at any point on the curve?

Yes, the equation of the normal can be found at any point on the curve as long as the derivative of the function at that point exists. This means that the curve must be differentiable at that point, which essentially means that the curve is smooth and has no sharp corners or breaks at that point.

5. How can differentiation be applied in real-world situations?

Differentiation has many applications in real-world situations, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, it can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, to determine the velocity and acceleration of an object, or to model the growth of a population. It is a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding the relationships between variables in various fields of study.