1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation Map of a Complex Transformation

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the differentiation
    map C1(R) -> C1(R) from the vector space of differentiable functions
    to itself.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi, I'm not entirely sure how to go about this, because would the differentiation map of this be [(1,0),(0,1)] since its from it to itself? Thanks for the help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi nautolian! :smile:
    an eigenvector is an element f of C1(R) such that Df is a scalar times f :wink:

4. Nov 12, 2012 #3
    High, sorry I'm still not really sure where to go with this. I mean I understand that Df=(lambda)f, but in the terms of C^1(R) does this mean that the derivative of the complex number a+bi is the same as the eigenvalue times the vector? Sorry, I'm still somewhat lost. Thanks for your help though.

5. Nov 12, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think this has anything to do with complex numbers. C^1(R) usually just means differentiable real functions. You need to solve the differential equation f'(x)=λf(x).

6. Nov 14, 2012 #5
    okay, would that mean that there are infinite eigenvalues with associated iegenvectors equal to A*exp(lambda*x)? where A is a constant? Sorry I'm still unclear about this. Thanks for the help though!

7. Nov 14, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook