Differentiation of exponential

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of y = x^(18x^-4) using the chain rule and implicit differentiation. The correct solution involves taking the natural log of both sides and solving for dy/dx by multiplying both sides by y and substituting for y if necessary.
chaslltt

Homework Statement

y = x^(18x^-4)

Homework Equations

chain rule
dy/dx a^x = a^x ln a

The Attempt at a Solution

first i used the second equation from above to get
x^(18/x^4)*ln(x)
then i use the chain rule to get
x^(18/x^4)*ln(x)*(-72x^-5)
the computer program i am using is saying this is wrong and the only thing i can think of that is wrong is the fact I may not be able to use the one formula since x is not a constant but if this is true then i have no idea what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
Try taking the log of both sides and using implicit differentiation.

alright so then i should get
ln y = ln (x^(18/x^4))
1/y = 18/x^4 ln x
= y 18/x^4*1/x
= y 18/x^5
= x^(18/x^4)*18/x^5
?

well the computer told me that solution is wrong also so any other advice would be helpful

dy/dx a^x = a^x ln a

This is only true if a is a constant! Do you know how to differentiate xx? Hint: Try writing it as ef(x) for some function f(x). The same technique can be applied here.

It doesn't look like you took the derivative of the right hand side in your other post correctly

does this look right
ln y= 18/x^4 ln x
1/y= 18/x^5 + -72x^-5 ln x
= y 18/x^5 + -72x^-5 ln x
then just plug in y ?

chaslltt said:
does this look right
ln y= 18/x^4 ln x
then just plug in y ?
yep!

chaslltt said:
does this look right
ln y= 18/x^4 ln x
You've forgotten the "dy/dx"!

and what is this equal to?

then just plug in y ?
If [itex]ln y= (18/x^4)ln(x)[/itex]
then [iitex](1/y)(dy/dx)= (18/x^5) -72x^{-5}ln x[/itex]
Now solve for dy/dx by multiplying both sides by y.
You might not be required to substitute for y. It depends on exactly what is wanted.

What is exponential differentiation?

Exponential differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of an exponential function at a specific point. It is a type of derivative that measures how quickly the output of an exponential function changes as the input value changes.

What is the formula for differentiating an exponential function?

The formula for differentiating an exponential function is f'(x) = axln(a), where a is the base of the exponential function.

What is the purpose of differentiating an exponential function?

The purpose of differentiating an exponential function is to find the slope or rate of change of the function at a specific point. This can be useful in many applications, such as determining the growth rate of a population or the decay rate of a radioactive substance.

Can any exponential function be differentiated?

Yes, any exponential function can be differentiated using the formula f'(x) = axln(a). However, this formula only applies to exponential functions with a constant base. Differentiation of more complex exponential functions may require different techniques.

What is the relationship between exponential differentiation and logarithmic differentiation?

Exponential differentiation and logarithmic differentiation are closely related. The formula for differentiating an exponential function can be derived from the formula for logarithmic differentiation, and vice versa. Both techniques are used to find the derivative of exponential functions, but logarithmic differentiation may be more useful for more complex exponential functions.