1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation of vector function

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    suppose f is a differentiable mapping of R1 into R3 such that |f(t)|=1 for every t. Prove that [tex]f'(t)\cdot f(t)=0[/tex].
    I guess it is more proper to write [tex](\nabla f)(t) \cdot f(t)=0[/tex], where [tex](\nabla f)(t)[/tex] is the gradient of f ant t.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    it is then equivalent to prove [tex]\sum\;(Df_{i})(t)\cdot f_{i}(t)=0[/tex], but I've no idea of how to use the |f(t)|=1 to deduce the disired results, although the equation has an easy geometrically interpretation
    Any hint may help, thanks a lot.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The f'(t) notation is fine. f(t) is a vector. You generally use the gradient notation for scalar functions, not vectors. And |f(t)|=1 is the same as saying f(t).f(t)=1, right?

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3
    just differentiate both side and it is done....Thanks!
    and thanks for the explanation about gradient...I misunderstood it...
    Here is why I thought it improper..f'(t) is a linear transformation from R^1->R^3, whose basis are different things from the basis of R^3, so I thought it is weird to apply the dot product to f'(t) and f(t)....

5. Dec 15, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For functions of a single variable it's simpler just to think of f'(t) as an element of R^3 rather than as a linear transformation. If f(t)=(x(t),y(t),z(t)), f'(t)=(x'(t),y'(t),z'(t)).

6. Dec 15, 2008 #5
    it took me years to open and refresh this forums....my connecting to some websites sucks...
    Thinking of it as a vector in R3 is okay and easy. okay, I found it more sensible in this way.
    take 1 as a basis of R^1. So f'(t)(1) = [tex]\sum^{3}_{1} (Df_{i})(t)e_{i}[/tex], where e_i is the basis of R^3, and dot product makes sense

7. Dec 15, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, the linear transformation is f'(t)(h)=(x'(t),y'(t),z'(t))*h. That can be identified with a vector in R^3 in a pretty obvious way. I would say you are just throwing the 'h' away altogether.

8. Dec 15, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Saying |f(t)|= 1 is the same as saying [itex]f(t)\cdot f(t)= 1[/itex]. Use the product rule.

9. Dec 15, 2008 #8
    it's been solved, Thanks anyway:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?