1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation, related rates?

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the dimensions of the rectangle of largest area that can be inscribed in the right triangle shown?

2. Relevant equations
    AB/AD = BC/DE

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been trying to do this problem. I looked online and saw an explanation without directly using the area of the triangle, found http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101128161728AA21pl7".

Can someone remind me how to differentiate A = x H - (H/X)x^2 , in the last part of the problem? Is this from related rates?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2
    Picture added:

lCBl = X

lABl = H

H/h = X/x

Attached Files:

4. Nov 19, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure exactly what you want here. You have not given any dimensions for the triangle.

Assuming a right triangle of base b and height h, we can set up a coordinate system having the two legs as axes. Then the hypotenuse is a line from (0, h) to (b, 0). The equation of that line is y= h- (h/b)x. Let a be the length of the rectangle along the x-axis, b, the length of the rectangle along the y-axis. Since the fourth vertex must lie on the hypotenuse, a and b must satisfy b= h- (h/b)x. Maximize the area, ab, with the constraing b= h- (h/b)a. Yes, that gives A= a(h-(h/b)x)= ah- (h/b)x2, just what you have with a slightly different notation.

As far as differentiating Hx- (H/X)x2, one of the very first derivative rules you learned is that the derivative of [itex]x^n[/itex] is [itex]nx^{n-1}[/itex]. However, you don't really need to use the derivative to maximize this. Complete the square to find the vertex of the parabola.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook