1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation under the integral sign

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

R(x) := ∫ exp ( -y^2 - x^2/y^2 ) dy

3. The attempt at a solution

I move the derivative operator inside the integral and differentiate with respect to x

R'(x) = ∫ [ - 2x/y^2 ] exp ( -x^2/y^2 - y^2 ) dy

Then I let: t = x/y and dy = - x/t^2 dt

R'(x) = 2 ∫ [ - x ] [ t^2 / x^2 ] exp ( t^2 - x^2/t^2 ) [ - x/t^2 ] dt

=> R'(x) = 2 R(x)

But that last part is supposed to be R'(x) = - 2 R(x) - I don't see why.

Then, it follows that this integrates to R(x) = Ae^(−2x) and x = 0 gives R(0) = √π. This last part I don't get it neither. From where the e^(-2x) came from?

Any help is very appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I also get R'(x) = 2*[R(x) + c], where c is a constant of integration. Here are the steps, done in Maple 11 (with output written in LaTeX):

R:=Int(exp(-x^2/y^2-y^2),y);
    [tex] R = \int e^{\left(\displaystyle -\frac{x^2}{y^2} - y^2\right)} \, dy [/tex]
    Rp:=diff(R,x);
    [tex] Rp = \int -\frac{2x}{y^2} e^{\left(\displaystyle -\frac{x^2}{y^2} - y^2\right)} \, dy [/tex]
    changevar(x/y=t,Rp);
    [tex] \int e^{\left(\displaystyle -\frac{x^2}{t^2} - t^2\right)} \, dt [/tex]

RGV

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3
    I just realize that I didn't consider the limits of integration... The limits are from 0 to infinity...

but still something must be wrong...

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4
    Yeah, the negative probably comes in from having to flip the limits of integration when you transform to the varaible t.

6. Jun 8, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Does "exp(-y^2- x^2/y^2)" mean [itex]e^{-y^2- (x^2/y^2)}[/itex] or [itex]e^{(-y^2- x^2)/y^2}[/itex].

7. Jun 8, 2012 #6
    Hello Halls,

The one in the middle.

8. Jun 8, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So the definition of R(x) is:
    [itex]\displaystyle R(x) := \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{\left( -\frac{x^2}{y^2} - y^2\right)} \, dy[/itex]​
    That explains why R is not a function of y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook