Difficult function of a function problem

• Thread starter contempquant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the student is stuck on trying to differentiate a function of a function and does not know how to do it. The student has found an equation for the derivative of E_0 with respect to z and has substituted this into the problem, but does not know how to differentiate any of the individual partial differentials. The final solution is found by solving for E_0 as a function of x, y, and z and taking the derivative with respect to z.
contempquant

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve a double derivative of a function of a function problem, but can't seem to be able to differentiate once. I have the formula given by the chain rule,

find [tex]\frac{d}{dz}{E}(\bar{r})[/tex] when [tex]{E}(\bar{r})={E_0}(\bar{r})e^{ikz}[/tex] and [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] is a function of z.

Homework Equations

I have used [tex]\frac{df}{dz}=\frac{dg}{df}\frac{df}{dz}h(x)+\frac{dh}{df}\frac{df}{dz}g(x)[/tex]

where [tex]g(x)={E_0}(\bar{r})[/tex] and [tex]h(x)=e^{ikz}[/tex]

and [tex]f=E(\bar{r})=E_{0}(\bar{r})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have then substituted in for these giving,

[tex]\frac{d{E_0}(\bar{r})exp^{ikz}}{dz}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{\partial{E_0}(\bar{r})}{\partial{E}(\bar{r})}\frac{\partial{E}(\bar{r})}{\partial{z}}*e^{ikz}+\frac{\partial{e^{ikz}}}{\partial{E}(\bar{r})}\frac{\partial{E}(\bar{r})}{\partial{z}}*E_{0}(\bar{r})[/tex]

The problem is i don't know how to differentiate any of the individual partial differentials because [tex]\bar{r}=r(z)[/tex], r is dependent on z. Any ideas? i really don't know how to start this one, and when this is done i have to differentiate it again. I'm sure if i can find out how to do this once i can do the second derivative but can't seem to do this one.

apparently the final solution is,

[tex](\frac{\partial^{2}E_{0}}{\partial{z}^{2}}+2ik\frac{\partial{E_0}}{\partial{z}}-k^{2}E_0)e^{ikz}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

So in [tex]\mathbf{r}=x\mathbf{i}+y\mathbf{j}+z\mathbf{i}[/tex] and [tex]r=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}[/tex] then you use the chain rule in the following way:

[tex]
\frac{d}{dz}E_{0}(r)=\frac{dE_{0}}{dr}\frac{dr}{dz}
[/tex]

sorry, that third line under relevant equations: [tex]f=E(\bar{r})=E_{0}(\bar{r})[/tex]
should read

[tex]f=E(\bar{r})=E_{0}(\bar{r})e^{ikz}[/tex]

I think that might change the answer you gave hunt_mat?

define [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] for me.

well that's the thing because [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] isn't defined in the book (Milonni, Lasers) but only the scalar version of r is defined, which is as you wrote it above,
[tex]r=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+R^{2}}[/tex]

Where [tex]z=R[/tex], R is the distance along the z axis

So this r is a vector? I think that either you can take E_0 as a function of x, y, and z or that it only has radial dependence.

so the differential of [tex]\frac{\partial{E_0}(\bar{r})}{\partial{Z}[/tex] is just one?

how do i do the differential,
[tex]\frac{\partial{E_0}(\bar{r})}{\partial{E}(\bar{r}) }[/tex]? as it's taken w.r.t the starting function?

* [tex]\frac{\partial{E_0}(\bar{r})}{\partial{Z}}[/tex]

I think that may be the case, having had a little look at the book on amazon, it seems like it's poor notation. I think the notation means that E_0 is a function of x,y and z and you just write down: the derivative as you have, that is how I would view the problem.

ok i'll try that, thanks

What is a "Difficult function of a function problem"?

A "Difficult function of a function problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the composition of multiple functions. It is considered difficult because it requires a deep understanding of function composition and the use of various mathematical techniques to solve.

What makes "Difficult function of a function problems" challenging?

"Difficult function of a function problems" can be challenging because they often involve complex functions and require multiple steps to solve. They also require a strong understanding of function notation and the ability to manipulate functions in various ways.

What are some strategies for solving "Difficult function of a function problems"?

Some strategies for solving "Difficult function of a function problems" include using function composition, simplifying expressions, and applying the chain rule. It is also helpful to break the problem into smaller parts and use known properties of functions to simplify the problem.

How can I improve my skills for solving "Difficult function of a function problems"?

Practice is the key to improving your skills for solving "Difficult function of a function problems". The more you practice solving these types of problems, the more comfortable you will become with the concepts and techniques involved. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.

Are "Difficult function of a function problems" important in real life?

Yes, "Difficult function of a function problems" have many real-life applications, especially in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They can be used to model and solve complex systems and phenomena, making them an essential tool for scientists and engineers.