1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult improper integral proof

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} exp(-x^2) \int_0^x exp(t^2) dt = 0 [/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This question is giving me a lot of difficulty. I've tried a lot of different ways to do it, here is a list of ways that I've tried.

1) For t>= 1, we have [tex] 0 < exp(-x^2) \int_0^x exp(t^2) dt \le exp(-x^2) \int_0^x t e^(t^2) dt [/tex]. Letting x tend to infinity, the right side of the inequality tends to 1/2 and so the expression which we wish to find the limit of is bounded and monotonically decreasing, thus it must converge.

2) I've tried approximating e^(t^2) by (1 + t^2/n)^n for large enough n, and then expanding using the binomial theorem and integrating term by term, giving me a polynomial of degree n + 1. We can then find a number m such that x^m > the polynomial in question for large enough x. Then we must find the limit of x^m/e^(x^2) as x tends to infinity. Using the theorem that e^(x^2) becomes infinite of a lower order of magnitude than x^m, we know that this quotient must tend to 0. I'm a bit sketchy about this one because I think m must tend to infinity with x, which complicates things. I think it's best to drop this idea.

3) I figured that the integral of t^(1/n) e^(t^2) for t>=1 decreases monotonically towards e^(t^2) for increasing n, and so if I can show that this integral divided by e^(x^2) tends to 0 for increasing x, then that proves what I want to prove. I've tried integrating it with Mathematica but it starts talking about hypergeometric functions, which I know nothing about so I don't think this is a good approach at all.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

hi JG89

not 100% sure how or if this will work but if you let
    [tex] f(x) = exp(-x^2) \int_0^x exp(t^2) dt [/tex]

could you try differentiating f(x) and then re-integrating to obtain a simpler expression for your limit?

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    Nope. Just tried it, and differentiating and then integrating back again just gives me the same expression. I don't see much manipulation I can do to the derivative so that when I integrate I get a simpler expression back.

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your limit has the form 0*infinity. Doesn't that suggest using l'Hopital's rule?

6. Mar 30, 2009 #5
    L'Hospital works, but I've never been taught that, so I figure I should be able to do this question without it.

7. Mar 30, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's annoying.

8. Mar 30, 2009 #7
    I'm surprised that my calc book (Courant's book) makes no mention of l'hopital's rule. I guess there is no other way to do this then?

9. Mar 30, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There almost certainly is. But I can't figure out a clever way to side step it right now. You could figure out why l'Hopital is true and then reverse engineer the proof into a specific proof for this problem. But that doesn't seem to be a good use of time. I'm surprised as well you don't have l'Hopital to apply yet. It's seems perfect for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook