1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult improper integral using mathematica

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    evaluate $$\int_0^1\frac{Ln(x)}{1+x}\,dx$$

2. Relevant equations
    I know the way to solve most improper integrals; replacing 0 or the bound causing the issue with a variable and have the limit of the integral as the variable goes to infinity. My question is using mathematica how do I get a reasonable result?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had started just looking for the indefinite integral first, just to keep an eye on the method mathematica was using and making sure I agreed. I had not tried this by hand yet. $$\int\frac{Ln(x)}{1+x}\,dx$$
    This however spat out an crazy result about a screen length wrong with an IF statement and an assumptions (it is far to long to type here). I need help at this juncture. What caused the issue and how do I resolve it to allow me to take the limit of the integral?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

By Ln(x) do you mean the natural log of x ( usually written ln(x) )? If so, Mathematica gives me a simple result:

Integrate[Log[x]/(1 + x), {x, 0, 1}] = - (pi^2 / 12)

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maple gets a nice, simple formula (but involving the non-elementary "dilog" function):
    f:=log(x)/(1+x);

ln(x)/(1+x)

J:=int(f,x);

J := dilog(1 + x) + ln(x) ln(1 + x)

We can evaluate the definite integral from this:

J1:=limit(J,x=1,left);

-Pi^2 /12

J0:=limit(J,x=0,right);

J0 := 0

Therefore, the definite integral is - π2/12. We also get this right away if we ask Maple to do the definite integral.

I do not have access to Mathematica, so cannot help you with that aspect of your problem.

RGV

5. Oct 22, 2012 #4
    I am still unsure of what I did wrong but after retyping it today I got the same answer. So I don't have to do any other operations even though it is in improper form? I just want to make sure that there wouldn't be a different result if preformed a different way.

6. Oct 23, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I said already, I get -pi^2/12 when I do it in Maple. I do not have access to Mathematica, but when I try it on Wolfram Alpha I get a numerical answer which is, in fact, the numerical value of -pi^2/12. I am assuming that Mathematica is the computational engine behind Wolfram Alpha, so Mathematica knows how to do the integral and gets the right answer. The only conclusion I can draw is that something is wrong with your input. But, not being a Mathematica user, I cannot tell what your problem may be. Why don't you post the detailed instruction here, so others can look at it?

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook