1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult series convergence proof

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that given some ε > 0, there exists a natural number M such that for all n ≥ M, (a^n)/n! < ε

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I know this seems similar to a Cauchy sequence problem but its not quite the same. So Im looking for a potential value for M that would complete my proof. So far I have found that if M = ε(a^2+1) then it works, through experimenting with different values for a. However, I cannot seem to find a way to show that (a^(M))/M! < ε. Does anyone know a way to do this? Or should I choose a different value for M?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Wouldn't it suffice to prove that lim (n→∞) of a^n/n! = 0 for any real positive a? (BTW, that a is assumed to be positive can be inferred from the question statement, since negative a would yield negative values for the term when n is odd, which would violate the ε > 0 stipulation).

This can be done very easily if you're allowed to assume the Taylor series for e^a, which you know converges for all a. This means that the series also satisfies all the tests for convergence, one of which is the limit test (meaning that lim (n→∞) of a^n/n! = 0). The ratio test (ratio between successive terms, which is a/(n+1)) is also met because the limit of the ratio is 0 (which is less than 1).

So you've established that the series consists of positive (when a is positive) terms that steadily decrease, with a limit value of 0. It is therefore assured that if n were set sufficiently high, you would have a term < ε, with subsequent terms continuing to steadily decrease.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook