Difficulty extracting fluid from balloon via syringe

In summary: Possibly an issue with the balloon not being sufficiently inflated?I have attached a pic of the setup. The balloon is filled with 10 mL of water and the catheter is inserted into the balloon. The balloon is inflated to 30 mL using the pump and the catheter is inserted into the balloon. The balloon is then inflated with helium to 100 mL. The catheter is then pulled out and the balloon is deflated. In summary, when transferring between infusion and extraction, the balloon is not inflated to its full capacity and air enters the catheter and causes resistance when trying to extract the fluid.
blah2222
Hello,

New to the forum, so apologies if this is not the correct sub-category.

I am testing compliances of materials by filling balloons with different fluids. I do this by filling up a 30 mL syringe with fluid and placing it into an infusion pump set to infuse at a rate of 0.1 mL/min. The syringe is attached to a serial pressure transducer which is then attached to a 23 gauge needle inserted into a PE-50 catheter (350 mm long). The free end of the catheter is then implanted into the balloon. To secure the implantation, the end of the catheter is flared with a lighter to make a small lip, then it is placed into the balloon via a small hole and sealed using a purse-string suture.

Following infusion I disconnect the catheter from the transducer and attach it to a 1 mL syringe and recollect the fluid.

One thing that I noticed is that in a lot of cases I cannot extract the fluid and there is resistance while pulling the 1 mL syringe. I have checked that the end of the catheter is in the middle of the balloon and not sucking the wall of the balloon. I can understand that if the balloon is being emptied, the catheter tip might not be in the remaining fluid, but I see this issue when the balloon is full.

I was curious to see if others might know what be happening and possible solutions to get around this issue.

What I can think of:
- flared catheter tip opening causing issues
- air?
- length of catheter
- equilibration of air pressure when transferring to 1 mL syringe?

Attached a pic of setup (green rectangle is pressure transducer):
balloon_syringe.png

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
blah2222 said:
Hello,

New to the forum, so apologies if this is not the correct sub-category.

I am testing compliances of materials by filling balloons with different fluids. I do this by filling up a 30 mL syringe with fluid and placing it into an infusion pump set to infuse at a rate of 0.1 mL/min. The syringe is attached to a serial pressure transducer which is then attached to a 23 gauge needle inserted into a PE-50 catheter (350 mm long). The free end of the catheter is then implanted into the balloon. To secure the implantation, the end of the catheter is flared with a lighter to make a small lip, then it is placed into the balloon via a small hole and sealed using a purse-string suture.

Following infusion I disconnect the catheter from the transducer and attach it to a 1 mL syringe and recollect the fluid.

One thing that I noticed is that in a lot of cases I cannot extract the fluid and there is resistance while pulling the 1 mL syringe. I have checked that the end of the catheter is in the middle of the balloon and not sucking the wall of the balloon. I can understand that if the balloon is being emptied, the catheter tip might not be in the remaining fluid, but I see this issue when the balloon is full.

I was curious to see if others might know what be happening and possible solutions to get around this issue.

What I can think of:
- flared catheter tip opening causing issues
- air?
- length of catheter
- equilibration of air pressure when transferring to 1 mL syringe?

Attached a pic of setup (green rectangle is pressure transducer):
View attachment 203701

Any help is much appreciated!
Welcome to the PF.

I'm guessing there is an issue with the flare that you are making by hand with the lighter. Something that would let you still fill through it, but would resist suction back through the tubing.

Have you inspected the flange after you had problems with it? If you cut the flange off, does it work then? Maybe you can come up with a different way to do the flange that doesn't involve melting the tubing -- maybe some sort of attachment you place on the end of the tubing instead?

Hi berkeman, thank you for the reply and suggestions.

I was thinking of making an adapter, but it is a pretty small catheter that I am using and I cannot changing the size of it.

The flared end of the tube is patent and not obstructed. It is usually the first try or so of the extraction that doesn't work but after moving the catheter around inside the balloon and wiggling it, I can eventually start the extraction.

Somehow I feel as though the issue is pressure related w.r.t. ambient air getting into the catheter when I am transferring between the infusion and extraction periods.

blah2222 said:
Hi berkeman, thank you for the reply and suggestions.

I was thinking of making an adapter, but it is a pretty small catheter that I am using and I cannot changing the size of it.

The flared end of the tube is patent and not obstructed. It is usually the first try or so of the extraction that doesn't work but after moving the catheter around inside the balloon and wiggling it, I can eventually start the extraction.

Somehow I feel as though the issue is pressure related w.r.t. ambient air getting into the catheter when I am transferring between the infusion and extraction periods.
Can you do it a slightly different way? Use a Y-adapter near the balloon so you don't need to disconnect the first syringe to connect the second one? Are you using screw-on adapters for the syringes and tubing now, or just attaching the syringe to the tubing by forcing it into the tubing opening?

Like the Y-adapter near the end of this multi-port system (note the screw-on adapters):

http://cdnll.sharn.com/images/xxl/codan-anesthesia-iv-extension-sets.jpg
codan-anesthesia-iv-extension-sets.jpg

That is an interesting idea. I might give this a try.

All connections are Luer-lock type.

blah2222 said:
To secure the implantation, the end of the catheter is flared with a lighter to make a small lip, then it is placed into the balloon via a small hole and sealed using a purse-string suture.
blah2222 said:
Are you collapsing the wall of the catheter by this technique?

Nope. Catheter is in good shape. I think it may be air getting into the catheter before extracting.

blah2222 said:
Nope. Catheter is in good shape. I think it may be air getting into the catheter before extracting.
But air would not increase resistance (as stated in your OP), would it?. Since the balloon is compliant (I'm assuming, can't picture it any other way), it seems it would need to be a blockage of some sort. I thought the collapsing tubing was a good suggestion (it might collapse under vacuum, but allow flow under pressure), but you say that was eliminated as a cause. Any other component that might collapse like that?

Any chance the fluid becomes more viscous, or develops 'clumps' after filling that might block the tube? I like the idea of a 'Tee' so you don't need to change anything to go from filling to drawing.

What is the purpose of extracting fluid from a balloon using a syringe?

The purpose of extracting fluid from a balloon using a syringe is typically for scientific experiments or medical procedures. The fluid inside the balloon may contain important substances that need to be analyzed or removed for further study.

Why is it difficult to extract fluid from a balloon using a syringe?

There are several reasons why it may be difficult to extract fluid from a balloon using a syringe. One possible reason is that the balloon may be made of a material that is not easily punctured by the needle of the syringe. Another reason could be that the fluid inside the balloon is too viscous or thick, making it hard to extract through the small needle of the syringe.

What can be done to make it easier to extract fluid from a balloon using a syringe?

To make it easier to extract fluid from a balloon using a syringe, a larger needle or syringe may be used. This can allow for a faster and more efficient extraction of the fluid. Additionally, heating the fluid may also make it less viscous and easier to extract.

Are there any risks associated with extracting fluid from a balloon using a syringe?

There are some potential risks associated with extracting fluid from a balloon using a syringe. If the balloon is made of a fragile material, it may burst during the extraction process, causing the fluid to spill. There is also a risk of contaminating the fluid with bacteria or other contaminants if proper sterilization procedures are not followed.

Can any type of syringe be used to extract fluid from a balloon?

While most syringes can be used for extracting fluid from a balloon, it is important to consider the size and type of needle. A larger needle may be needed for a thicker or more viscous fluid. It is also important to use a sterile syringe to prevent contamination of the fluid.