Difficulty with Lagrange multipliers in Kardar's Statistical Physics book

• Thread starter AndreasC
  • Start date
AndreasC
Gold Member
Homework Statement:
You are given an entropy function in terms of a probability density function, and you are asked to maximize said entropy function in terms of the density function, under the constraint of constant energy. The details aren't very relevant, what I don't understand is a leap in the mathematics of the solution.
Relevant Equations:
Alright, so I did some progress and then I got stuck. After some time I went to check the solution. Up to some point, it's all well and good:

Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης (51).png

I understand everything that is happening up to the point where he takes the partial derivative of S wrt ρ(Γ). I don't understand how he gets the result he does. I imagine it's just a calculus thing that I am failing really bad at right now. Damn book always demanding you to know how to do things >:(

Answers and Replies

pasmith
Homework Helper
2022 Award
I think it's the Euler-Lagrange equation from the calculus of variations,
[tex]
\frac{d}{d\Gamma}\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial \frac{d\rho}{d\Gamma}}\right) - \frac{\partial S}{\partial \rho} = 0
[/tex] where the integrand is independent of [itex]\frac{d\rho}{d\Gamma}[/itex]; this is combined with an abuse of notation which identifies [itex]S[/itex] with the integrand [tex]\rho (-\ln \rho - \alpha - \beta \mathcal{H}(\Gamma))[/tex] which is easily differentiated with respect to [itex]\rho[/itex].

AndreasC
Gold Member
I think it's the Euler-Lagrange equation from the calculus of variations,
[tex]
\frac{d}{d\Gamma}\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial \frac{d\rho}{d\Gamma}}\right) - \frac{\partial S}{\partial \rho} = 0
[/tex] where the integrand is independent of [itex]\frac{d\rho}{d\Gamma}[/itex]; this is combined with an abuse of notation which identifies [itex]S[/itex] with the integrand [tex]\rho (-\ln \rho - \alpha - \beta \mathcal{H}(\Gamma))[/tex] which is easily differentiated with respect to [itex]\rho[/itex].
Abuse of notation is what I thought too... But I'm not quite sure. And it doesn't make sense any other way. You have a valid point about the Euler-Lagrange equation, I didn't think of that.

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Let ##F[\rho (\Gamma)] = \rho (\Gamma) \ln \rho (\Gamma) + \alpha \rho (\Gamma) + \beta \mathcal H(\Gamma) \rho (\Gamma)##

so

##S = \alpha +\beta E-\int d\Gamma F[\rho (\Gamma)]##

When ##S## is a maximum, ##S## will not change to first order for arbitrary variations of ##\rho (\Gamma)##. That is, ##\delta S = 0## to first order in ##\delta \rho## when ##\rho (\Gamma) = \rho_{\rm max} (\Gamma)##.

Note that to first order in ##\delta \rho(\Gamma)##, ##\delta S = -\int d\Gamma \large \frac {\partial F}{\partial \rho (\Gamma)} \normalsize\delta \rho (\Gamma)##.

For this to be zero for arbitrary ##\delta \rho(\Gamma)##, we must have ##\large \frac {\partial F}{\partial \rho (\Gamma)} \normalsize \bigg|_{\rho = \rho_{max}}= 0##.

What do you get for ##\large \frac {\partial F}{\partial \rho (\Gamma)} \normalsize ?##

Likes Abhishek11235, vanhees71 and AndreasC
vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
It's not an abuse of notation, it's plain wrong. What you have to take is the variation of the entropy, which is a functional (not function!) of ##\rho##. What you then get is the "Euler Lagrange equation" of the variational principle. Here, however, it's easier to just take the variation wrt. ##\rho## directly. First of all, it should be, including the Lagrange multipliers for the constraints
$$S=\int \mathrm{d} \Gamma \rho [-\ln \rho-\alpha - \beta \mathcal{H}].$$
I don't know what the additional terms are good for.

Then, just take the variation of this functional of ##S## wrt. ##\rho##. This gives
$$S=\int \mathrm{d} \Gamma \left \{ \delta \rho [-\ln \rho - \alpha -\beta \mathcal{H}]-\rho \frac{1}{\rho} \delta \rho \right \} = \int \mathrm{d} \Gamma \delta \rho [-\ln \rho - \alpha -\beta \mathcal{H}-1].$$
Now thanks to the Lagrange multipliers to get the maximum entropy the bracket must vanish, because you can treat ##\rho## as an independent function, because you can adjust the constraints by choosing the right Lagrange multipliers. This leads to
$$-\ln \rho - (\alpha+1)-\beta \mathcal{H}=0$$
or solved for ##\rho##
$$\rho = \exp(-\alpha-1) \exp(-\beta \mathcal{H}).$$
From the first constraint you get
$$\exp(-\alpha-1)=\frac{1}{Z} \quad \text{with} \quad Z=\int \mathrm{d} \Gamma \exp(-\beta \mathcal{H}).$$
So finally you get the canonical distribution
$$\rho=\frac{1}{Z} \exp(-\beta \mathcal{H}).$$

Suggested for: Difficulty with Lagrange multipliers in Kardar's Statistical Physics book

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies