Potential of Point A to Point B in Difficult RC Circuit

In summary, when points a and b are connected by a wire with negligible resistance, find the magnitude of the current in the 10.0V battery.
AGGENGR
Warrning: Posting template must be used for homework questions
Find the potential of point a with respect to point b in the figure (Fighttps://s.yimg.com/hd/answers/i/1ffe0f8aeaf145679cde38f7812b1c7f_A.png?a=answers&mr=0&x=1413484693&s=0943630e47eb74ae023909f7d39f74e3 ure 1) .

If points a and b are connected by a wire with negligible resistance, find the magnitude of the current in the 10.0V battery.

V=IR, Req=R1+R2, 1/Re = 1/R1+1/R2

So basically added up the resistors in series on the side getting 4 ohm and 3 ohm respectively. I am stuck because the a-b is disconnected which is something i haven't seen until this problem. also i can't seem to simplify the circuit into a single "line" if you know what i mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AGGENGR said:
Find the potential of point a with respect to point b in the figure (Fighttps://s.yimg.com/hd/answers/i/1ffe0f8aeaf145679cde38f7812b1c7f_A.png?a=answers&mr=0&x=1413484693&s=0943630e47eb74ae023909f7d39f74e3 ure 1) .

If points a and b are connected by a wire with negligible resistance, find the magnitude of the current in the 10.0V battery.

V=IR, Req=R1+R2, 1/Re = 1/R1+1/R2

So basically added up the resistors in series on the side getting 4 ohm and 3 ohm respectively. I am stuck because the a-b is disconnected which is something i haven't seen until this problem. also i can't seem to simplify the circuit into a single "line" if you know what i mean.

Or just write the KCL equations for the circuit. I would put ground at the middle right of the circuit, between the 3 resistors. For the open-circuit case, there is no current flowing in the middle branch (obviously).

Can you show us the KCL equations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Incidentally, this is not an RC circuit because there are no capacitors.

When you do have to find the transient voltages and currents in a RC circuit in DC by using differential equations, you will then realize a new level of "difficult".
Finding voltages and currents in an RC circuit in AC has challenges as well, but is not as difficult as the dreaded DC transient RC circuits.
Both of these will be coming to you soon assuming you are in an engineering program.

A hint to solve the problem...there is ZERO current thru that middle branch as suggested above.

berkeman said:
Or just write the KCL equations for the circuit. I would put ground at the middle right of the circuit, between the 3 resistors. For the open-circuit case, there is no current flowing in the middle branch (obviously).

KCL?

AGGENGR said:
KCL?

Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL). I'm guessing by your response that you haven't covered that yet in class. It's a very easy and useful technique to learn -- maybe check it out at Wikipedia, and you will be ahead of the rest of your class! :-)

Ahh i see now. Thanks

1. What is a difficult RC circuit?

A difficult RC circuit is a type of circuit that contains a combination of resistors and capacitors that make it challenging to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit. These circuits often involve complex calculations and require a deep understanding of circuit theory.

2. What is the potential of point A to point B in a difficult RC circuit?

The potential of point A to point B in a difficult RC circuit refers to the difference in voltage between these two points. It is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit of charge that is present at each point in the circuit. This potential difference is crucial in determining the flow of current and the overall behavior of the circuit.

3. How is the potential of point A to point B calculated in a difficult RC circuit?

The potential of point A to point B in a difficult RC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law and the equations for capacitors in series and parallel. It involves taking into account the resistance and capacitance values in the circuit, as well as the voltage source. It is a complex calculation and requires a thorough understanding of circuit theory.

4. What factors affect the potential of point A to point B in a difficult RC circuit?

The potential of point A to point B in a difficult RC circuit is affected by several factors, including the resistance and capacitance values in the circuit, the voltage source, and the frequency of the input signal. It is also influenced by the arrangement of the components in the circuit, such as whether the capacitors are in series or parallel.

5. How is the potential of point A to point B used to analyze a difficult RC circuit?

The potential of point A to point B is an essential parameter in analyzing a difficult RC circuit. It can be used to calculate the current flowing through the circuit, as well as the charge stored in the capacitors. It can also be used to determine the time constant of the circuit, which is a measure of how quickly the circuit reaches steady-state behavior.