Diffraction effects and wavelengths

In summary, higher wavelength radiation has more pronounced diffraction effects than low wavelength radiation. This is because diffraction is ultimately determined by the size of the wavelength with respect to an object or slit. The larger the wavelength, the smaller everything becomes with respect to the wavelength, making diffraction effects more noticeable.
LTP
Do higher wavelength radiation have more pronounced diffraction effects than low wavelength radiation, and why is that?

Science news on Phys.org
yes. this is why sounds can be diffracted, but not light. sound has a larger wavelength than light.

sorry did you just say light cannot be diffracted?!

edit: btw when you say more pronounced diffraction effects do you mean that it spreads out more (i.e. theta will be bigger)? The diffraction is related to the size of the hole through which the light is going through compared to the wavelength of the light...in what exact context are you talking about?

Last edited:
aww...did i make a mistake when i said light cannot be diffracted. actually i did this topic this morning, and i thought i heard my teacher say that light travels straight, it cannot be diffracted.

diffraction occurs when the size of aperture is much much less smaller than the wavelength. light has a very small wavelength, and it is difficult to get apertures even tinier.

i hope i didn't make a botch.

thnks

jaderberg said:
sorry did you just say light cannot be diffracted?!

edit: btw when you say more pronounced diffraction effects do you mean that it spreads out more (i.e. theta will be bigger)? The diffraction is related to the size of the hole through which the light is going through compared to the wavelength of the light...in what exact context are you talking about?
Just in general; is there any diffraction effects for light coming from a normal light bulb?

Kushal said:
aww...did i make a mistake when i said light cannot be diffracted. actually i did this topic this morning, and i thought i heard my teacher say that light travels straight, it cannot be diffracted.

diffraction occurs when the size of aperture is much much less smaller than the wavelength. light has a very small wavelength, and it is difficult to get apertures even tinier.

i hope i didn't make a botch.

thnks
What about Young's double-slit experiment?

There can definatly be diffraction of light as seen in Young's double slit and diffraction gratings etc.

As for light coming from a normal light bulb, what would cause it to diffracted at all?

LTP said:
Do higher wavelength radiation have more pronounced diffraction effects than low wavelength radiation, and why is that?
Yes.

Diffraction effects are ultimately determined by the size of the wavelength with respect to an object or slit. A 1 micron wide slit illuminated by 500 nm light will behave equivalently to a 1 metre wide slit illuminated by 0.5 m radiation. The larger the wavelength, the smaller everything becomes with respect to the wavelength, which causes diffraction effects to be more pronounced.

Claude.

1. What is diffraction and how does it occur?

Diffraction is a phenomenon in which waves, such as light or sound, spread out and bend around obstacles or through narrow openings. It occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or slit that is comparable in size to its wavelength.

2. How does the wavelength of a wave affect diffraction?

The wavelength of a wave is directly related to the amount of diffraction that occurs. The smaller the wavelength, the less diffraction will occur. This is because smaller wavelengths are able to pass through smaller openings without bending as much.

3. Can diffraction occur with all types of waves?

Yes, diffraction can occur with all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves (such as light), sound waves, and water waves. However, the amount of diffraction may vary depending on the type of wave and its wavelength.

4. What are some real-world applications of diffraction?

Diffraction is used in various technologies, such as in the design of optical lenses for cameras and microscopes. It is also used in spectroscopy to analyze the composition of materials, and in the production of holograms for security purposes.

5. How can we calculate the diffraction angle of a wave?

The diffraction angle can be calculated using the equation θ = λ/d, where θ is the diffraction angle, λ is the wavelength of the wave, and d is the size of the opening or obstacle. This equation is known as the diffraction grating equation and is used to determine the direction and intensity of diffracted waves.