The sources of error in a diffraction grating experiment

In a diffraction grating experiment, what can be the sources of error and also what effect do these sources have on the unknown quantity (wavelength) in the experiment?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Summary:: What are the sources of error in the diffraction grating experiment and what is the effect?

In a diffraction grating experiment, what can be the sources of error and also what effect do these sources have on the unknown quantity (wavelength) in the experiment?
What are your thoughts? There are a couple obvious sources of error, but you need to go first. Are you familiar with the mathematical analysis of diffraction grating patterns?

Also, is this a schoolwork question?

What are your thoughts? There are a couple obvious sources of error, but you need to go first. Are you familiar with the mathematical analysis of diffraction grating patterns?

Also, is this a schoolwork question?
Yes, Im familiar with diffraction patterns and its theory.
No, this is not a school work question, it is a personal question, otherwise I would have sent the question in the relevant section.

berkeman
Mentor
Great. So what do you think the top couple sources of error would be, and how would that affect the output data?

Great. So what do you think the top couple sources of error would be, and how would that affect the output data?
I think an error could be to read the diffraction angle. Because people may read different angles, albeit with slight differences. And because the diffraction angle is related to the wavelength, can affect it.

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I, for one, am waiting for your best effort to catalog all the errors. This avoids us telling you things you already know and allows us to understand at what depth to proceed.

Likes Charles Link, Vanadium 50, sophiecentaur and 1 other person
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Doesn't anyone exist?

Sounds a lot like "Hop to it! It's due Friday!"

Add me to the list of people waiting for your best effort. If it helps, many people are willing to put as much effort as you are. But not much more.

Likes Charles Link and berkeman