1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction Grating Problem, brightness maximum involved

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bulb emits a continuous spectrum of ultraviolet, visible and infrared light in the wavelength range 360nm to 2000nm. Assume that the light from this bulb is incident on a diffraction grating with slit spacing d and that the first-order brightness maximum for the wavelength of 1200 nm occurs at angle (theta). What other wavelengths within the spectrum of incident light will produce a brightness maximum at this same angle (theta)?

2. Relevant equations
    sin(theta) = m(lamda)/d
    where m is an integer representing the order, and d is the distance between grating lines. Lamda represents the wavelengths of the light.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since I am given a lamda (wavelength) and an order, I set up my equation for theta as
    (theta) = arcsin (1200nm/d)
    I have no idea what the problem is asking for.
    Please give me some hints.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2
    Are you familiar with the geometry, what d , theta are? that really helps thinking these through.
    otherwise, "first-order" refers to m=1 in that equation for the location(theta) of brightness maxima.
    The question should make sense now.

4. Mar 12, 2009 #3
    I went back to look in my textbook, but I am still confused by what you mean. I know that d is the separation between slits, D is the actual width of each slit, and theta is the angular spread. I am still confused however.

5. Mar 13, 2009 #4
    can u post the figure?
    Otherwise, that m(lambda) is just the requirement to get constructive interference. m(lambda) can equal the same number for different combinations of m and lambda...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook