Diffrential equations, integration factor with two vars

In summary, Barak is trying to solve an equation in which xM(x,y)- yN(x,y) is afactor. He has found that xk'(xy)M(x,y)+ k(xy)M_y(x, y)= yk'(x,y)N(x,y)+ k(xy)N_x(x,y) and that xM(x,y)- yN(x,y)k'(xy)= k(xy)(N_x(x,y)- M_y(x,y)).
barak
1. I need to find a condition that the equation will have a integration factor from the shape K(x*y).
(K-integration factor sign)

2.the eq from the shape M(x,y)dx+N(x,y)dy=0 ,not have to be exact!3. i tried to open from the basics. d(k(x*y)M(x,y))/dy=d((k(x*y)N(x,y))/dx.
and i used the fact that d(k(x,y))/dy is x (exc. for dx)/

im hoping i was clear enough , thanks and sorry for my bad english.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, normally an integration factor will be of the form ##e^{\int P(x)}##
I'm confused by your notation, it seems as though you're setting up an exact function, or maybe that's what you're saying in 2: it's not an exact function?

barak said:
1. I need to find a condition that the equation will have a integration factor from the shape K(x*y).
(K-integration factor sign)
"the equation" -- What equation?
barak said:
2.the eq from the shape M(x,y)dx+N(x,y)dy=0 ,not have to be exact!3. i tried to open from the basics. d(k(x*y)M(x,y))/dy=d((k(x*y)N(x,y))/dx.
and i used the fact that d(k(x,y))/dy is x (exc. for dx)/

im hoping i was clear enough , thanks and sorry for my bad english.
It's not clear to me at all. What is the equation you're trying to solve?

@barak: Perhaps this link will help you:
http://www.cliffsnotes.com/math/differential-equations/first-order-equations/integrating-factors

The initial equation is M(x,y)dx+ N(x,y)dy= 0 and you multiply by k(xy) where k is some function of a single variable: k(xy)M(x, y)dx+ k(xy)N(x,y)dy= 0.
In order that this be "exact" we must have [itex](k(xy)M(x, y))_y= (k(xy)N(x, y))_x[/itex].

xk'(xy)M(x,y)+ k(xy)M_y(x, y)= yk'(x,y)N(x,y)+ k(xy)N_x(x,y)

(xM(x,y)- yN(x,y))k'(xy)= k(xy)(N_x(x,y)- M_y(x,y)

thanks a lot guys u all helped me

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time. They involve derivatives, or rates of change, and can be used to model many real-world phenomena.

2. What is an integration factor?

An integration factor is a function that is multiplied by both sides of a differential equation to make the equation easier to solve. It is typically used when the equation is not in a form that can be solved directly.

3. How does the integration factor method work?

The integration factor method involves multiplying both sides of a differential equation by an integration factor, which is often equal to the coefficient of the highest derivative term. This allows the equation to be rewritten in a form that can be solved using integration.

4. Can integration factor be applied to equations with two variables?

Yes, integration factor can be applied to equations with two variables. In this case, the integration factor will depend on both variables and will be used to reduce the order of the equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations and integration factor?

Differential equations and integration factor are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, electrical circuits, and many other phenomena.