Put the eigenvalue function in self-adjoint form

GGGGc
Homework Statement
The original equation is -(1-x^(2))y’’+xy’=ky. How to put it in self-adjoint form?
Also, if let x=cos(theta) how to put that form in d^(2)y/dx^(2)=-ky form?
Relevant Equations
-(1-x^(2))y’’+xy’=ky
Here’s my work:
The integrating factor I find is (x^(2)-1)^1/2. The self adjoint form I find is
-d/dx (((1-x^(2))^(3/2))*dy/dx))=k(x^(2)-1)^(1/2).
Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The left hand side is of the form [tex]
-u^2y'' - uu'y' = -u(uy')'[/tex] for some [itex]u[/itex].

GGGGc said:
Homework Statement: The original equation is -(1-x^(2))y’’+xy’=ky. How to put it in self-adjoint form?
Also, if let x=cos(theta) how to put that form in d^(2)y/dx^(2)=-ky form?
Relevant Equations: -(1-x^(2))y’’+xy’=ky

Here’s my work:
The integrating factor I find is (x^(2)-1)^1/2. The self adjoint form I find is
-d/dx (((1-x^(2))^(3/2))*dy/dx))=k(x^(2)-1)^(1/2).
Am I right?
Please use ## ## tags and code to render Latex

1. What is the eigenvalue function in self-adjoint form?

The eigenvalue function in self-adjoint form refers to the mathematical expression of the eigenvalues of a self-adjoint operator. In this form, the eigenvalues are real numbers, and the corresponding eigenvectors are orthogonal to each other.

2. How do you put the eigenvalue function in self-adjoint form?

To put the eigenvalue function in self-adjoint form, you need to first find the eigenvalues of the operator. Then, you need to ensure that the operator is self-adjoint, meaning that it is equal to its adjoint. Finally, you can express the eigenvalues in a way that satisfies the properties of self-adjoint operators.

3. Why is it important to put the eigenvalue function in self-adjoint form?

Putting the eigenvalue function in self-adjoint form is important because self-adjoint operators have real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors. This property makes the operator easier to work with and allows for more meaningful interpretations of the results obtained from the operator.

4. Can any operator have an eigenvalue function in self-adjoint form?

Not every operator can have an eigenvalue function in self-adjoint form. Only operators that are self-adjoint themselves can have eigenvalue functions in self-adjoint form. This restriction is due to the properties of self-adjoint operators and the requirements for real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors.

5. What are the applications of putting the eigenvalue function in self-adjoint form?

Putting the eigenvalue function in self-adjoint form has various applications in quantum mechanics, signal processing, and other fields. It allows for the analysis of physical systems, the solution of differential equations, and the optimization of algorithms. Overall, it helps in understanding the behavior of systems described by self-adjoint operators.