1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffusion equation & separation of variables

1. Mar 26, 2006 #1
    i have been trying to solve the diffusion equation using separation of variables. i know the answer should turn out something like the normal probability density function but its just turns into a mess when i try it.
    i am given the following information:
    [tex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial t}=D\frac{\partial^2 p}{\partial x^2}[/tex]
    where [tex]p=p(x,t)[/tex]
    where D is a constant (its not specified whether its negative or positive). it would be safe to say the sign for D which gives the easiest solution is the right one.
    now this is what i did
    [tex]X\frac{dT}{dt}=DT\frac{d^2 X}{dx^2}[/tex]
    which gives 2 equations, namely
    [tex]\frac{1}{DT}\frac{dT}{dt}=\lambda[/tex] (1) and
    [tex]\frac{1}{X}\frac{d^2X}{dx^2}=\lambda[/tex] (2)
    solving (1) and applying the initial conditions and boundary conditions i get
    [tex]T(t)=\exp(D\lambda t)[/tex]
    for (2) i assumed [tex]\lambda>0[/tex] to get
    [tex]X(x)=a \exp(\sqrt{\lambda}x)+b \exp(-\sqrt{\lambda}x)[/tex]
    then finally you plug all back in to [tex]p(x,t)=T(t)X(x)[/tex]
    now i'm not sure where to go here, or how to apply the initial and boundary conditions and nor can i see how this would end up being something like a normal pdf (with an exp(-x^2) in there somwhere)

thanks in advance
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, why did you assume [itex]\lambda[/itex] is positive? What happens if it is negative? Also "p(0,0)= 1" is not sufficient. Initial values for partial differential equations are typically functions: what is p(x,0)? Unless there is a [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex] in the initial condition you will not get one in the solution to the differential equation!

The general solution will be a sum of the separate solutions:
    [tex]\Sigma X(x)T(t)[/tex]
  4. Mar 26, 2006 #3
    i assumed lambda to be positive so that the solution to (2) was an exponential (if its negative then i think the solution involves sin and cos, further i would not know what the solution is if lambda can be positive and negative). i am doing stuff to do with the distribution of random walking particles over a period of time, its behaviour is said to display a normal distribution. i thought i needed a function like p(x,0) but it was not given. could you explain why p(0,0)=1 is not sufficient? is the equation not solvable given the information in the first post?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  5. Mar 27, 2006 #4

Firstly, on the positive assumption of $\lambda$...

In this problem, it's usual to take your $\lambda$ (seperation constant) as $-\lambda$ and $D$ as, say, $\alpha^2$, then you reqns become:

You should now see that the different signs of (this new) $\lambda$ give constant, normal or hyberbolic trig fn answers.

For you initial condition - you need to specify $p(x,0)=f(x)$ - I guess you want $f(x)=0$ which is fine but you should probably state $0\le x\le L$
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?