Diffusion of Hydrogen through Molybdenum alloy

In summary: But your experiments show that the flux of hydrogen is directly proportional to the pressure of hydrogen, which is not in line with Sievert's law. So it seems that your observations contradict Sievert's law and suggest that there may be other factors at play in the diffusion of hydrogen through molybdenum. In summary, the experiments conducted on the diffusion of hydrogen through molybdenum suggest that the flux of hydrogen is directly proportional to the pressure of hydrogen, contradicting Sievert's law. Further research is needed to determine the other factors at play in this process.
alu9
I have been preforming experiments to study the diffusion of Hydrogen through Molybdenum. According to Sievert's law diatomic molecules would diffuse as atoms. But according to my experiments I notice that the flux of hydrogen is directly proportional to the pressure of hydrogen and not to the Square root of pressure.

1. Why do diatomic molecules disassociate when they get adsorbed on metal surfaces?

2. Is the chemical potential of hydrogen in the inner wall of the metal equal to the chemical potential of H in the outer wall?

3. How do I explain my observations?

Physics news on Phys.org
alu9 said:
I have been preforming experiments to study the diffusion of Hydrogen through Molybdenum. According to Sievert's law diatomic molecules would diffuse as atoms. But according to my experiments I notice that the flux of hydrogen is directly proportional to the pressure of hydrogen and not to the Square root of pressure.

1. Why do diatomic molecules disassociate when they get adsorbed on metal surfaces?

2. Is the chemical potential of hydrogen in the inner wall of the metal equal to the chemical potential of H in the outer wall?

3. How do I explain my observations?
Have you looked at any surface science papers on the adsorption of hydrogen on molybdenum single crystals?
For instance:
http://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.1675105
http://pubs.rsc.org/-/content/articlelanding/2016/cp/c5cp07349a#!divAbstract
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0039602893901368?via=ihub

Likes alu9
alu9 said:

Yes, if equilibrium was reached.

Likes alu9

1. What is diffusion?

Diffusion is the movement of molecules or particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. In the context of hydrogen through molybdenum alloy, it refers to the movement of hydrogen atoms from the surface of the alloy to the interior.

2. Why is studying diffusion of hydrogen through molybdenum alloy important?

Molybdenum alloy is commonly used in high-temperature and high-pressure environments, such as in nuclear reactors and gas turbines. Understanding how hydrogen diffuses through this alloy is crucial in preventing potential failures and accidents caused by hydrogen embrittlement.

3. What factors affect the diffusion of hydrogen through molybdenum alloy?

The diffusion of hydrogen through molybdenum alloy is influenced by various factors such as temperature, pressure, chemical composition, and microstructure of the alloy. Additionally, the presence of defects or impurities in the alloy can also affect the diffusion process.

4. How is the diffusion of hydrogen through molybdenum alloy measured?

The diffusion of hydrogen through molybdenum alloy can be measured using various techniques such as thermal desorption spectroscopy, secondary ion mass spectrometry, and nuclear reaction analysis. These methods involve heating the alloy to release the diffused hydrogen and analyzing its concentration using specialized instruments.

5. What are the potential applications of studying diffusion of hydrogen through molybdenum alloy?

Studying the diffusion of hydrogen through molybdenum alloy can have various practical applications, such as improving the design and performance of high-temperature and high-pressure systems, developing more efficient hydrogen storage materials, and preventing hydrogen-induced failures in industrial equipment.