Digital Combination Lock using simple gates and flipflops

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a digital combination lock that verifies a hexadecimal input and lights up an 'Unlocked' LED. To overcome the limitation of not being able to change the combination, the circuit can be modified by adding memory and a means of switching between program mode and operation mode. This can be done by using separate keypads for each hex digit, or by using one keypad for programming and another for input. For extra credit, the circuit can be designed to store any hex digit in the memory cells, resulting in a new combination for the lock. This combination will persist until it is changed by reprogramming the lock. Standard combinational and sequential logic components can be used to build this circuit, and a buffer or counter can be
sid78669

Homework Statement

Digital Combination Lock: To create a circuit that verifies the input from a hexadecimal as 5-A-7 and then lights up an 'Unlocked' LED. (DONE)

Bonus Points for:
The obvious limitation of this circuit is that the combination cannot be changed. This limitation can be
corrected by adding sufficient memory to store three hex numbers and a means of switching between
"program mode" and "operation mode." If you wish, you may use separate keypads for each hex digit and
the "input" (giving a total of 4 keypads). If you prefer, you may employ one keypad for programming and
another for input with a means of switching between each of the three digit storage cells. You may, if you
wish, use only one keypad for operation and programming all inputs. The choice is yours.

For full extra credit:

• Any hex digit 0 . . F can be stored in any of the three memory cells.
• The hex digits stored in the memory cells, result in a new combination for the lock and the lock will
open when the new combination is supplied via the input keypad.
• The combination is stored (persists) until it is changed by reprogramming the lock.
• The circuit uses only standard combinational and sequential logic components

Homework Equations

I am unable to understand what exactly can I use to 'store' the correct input value?

The Attempt at a Solution

attached is the basic circuit I created that verifies 5-A-7.

Attachments

• Circuit.JPG
    Circuit.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 2,866
Physics news on Phys.org
sid78669 said:

Homework Statement

Digital Combination Lock: To create a circuit that verifies the input from a hexadecimal as 5-A-7 and then lights up an 'Unlocked' LED. (DONE)

Bonus Points for:
The obvious limitation of this circuit is that the combination cannot be changed. This limitation can be
corrected by adding sufficient memory to store three hex numbers and a means of switching between
"program mode" and "operation mode." If you wish, you may use separate keypads for each hex digit and
the "input" (giving a total of 4 keypads). If you prefer, you may employ one keypad for programming and
another for input with a means of switching between each of the three digit storage cells. You may, if you
wish, use only one keypad for operation and programming all inputs. The choice is yours.

For full extra credit:

• Any hex digit 0 . . F can be stored in any of the three memory cells.
• The hex digits stored in the memory cells, result in a new combination for the lock and the lock will
open when the new combination is supplied via the input keypad.
• The combination is stored (persists) until it is changed by reprogramming the lock.
• The circuit uses only standard combinational and sequential logic components

Homework Equations

I am unable to understand what exactly can I use to 'store' the correct input value?

What about using buffer or a counter that has a parallel load feature to store it?

Last edited:
I'm using diglog (my prof likes this software and so do I for its simplicity). The counter I found is 16 count. I however, have no idea how it works, other than just count the number of times it received a pulse at its clock.

sid78669 said:
I'm using diglog (my prof likes this software and so do I for its simplicity). The counter I found is 16 count. I however, have no idea how it works, other than just count the number of times it received a pulse at its clock.

I don't know about that software; I have LogicWorks. It has a component called a buffer which is just what you need. It stores whatever is on its inputs to its outputs when it receives an enable signal and ignores changing inputs otherwise.

OK, from the sound of it, it seems its the same thing as an SRAM8K. I'm still trying to learn how to use it, but I'm not sure if I am allowed to use it in the assignment. I have mailed my prof about it and if she's ok with it, I think I have a solution.

But just to clear all doubt, This is the only way to do it, right?

sid78669 said:
OK, from the sound of it, it seems its the same thing as an SRAM8K. I'm still trying to learn how to use it, but I'm not sure if I am allowed to use it in the assignment. I have mailed my prof about it and if she's ok with it, I think I have a solution.

But just to clear all doubt, This is the only way to do it, right?

With digital design I would never say something is the only way. You could always build your own buffer out of J-K or D flip-flops. It all depends on what parts you are allowed for the assignment.

1. What is a digital combination lock using simple gates and flipflops?

A digital combination lock using simple gates and flipflops is a type of electronic lock that uses a combination of logic gates and flipflops to control access to a device or system. It is a secure and efficient way to restrict access to sensitive information or valuable assets.

2. How does a digital combination lock work?

In a digital combination lock, a series of logic gates and flipflops are used to create a combination code. When the correct code is entered, the flipflops change state and allow access to the device or system. If an incorrect code is entered, the flipflops will not change state and access will be denied.

3. What are the advantages of using simple gates and flipflops in a digital combination lock?

Using simple gates and flipflops in a digital combination lock allows for a compact and efficient design. It also provides a high level of security as the combination code is stored in the flipflops and cannot be easily hacked or bypassed.

4. Can a digital combination lock using simple gates and flipflops be easily reset?

Yes, a digital combination lock using simple gates and flipflops can be easily reset by changing the combination code. This can be done by reprogramming the flipflops with a new code or physically resetting the flipflops with a reset button.

5. Are there any limitations to using a digital combination lock using simple gates and flipflops?

One limitation of using a digital combination lock using simple gates and flipflops is that it is susceptible to power outages or malfunctions. If the power supply to the lock is disrupted, the combination code may be lost and access may be denied until the code is reset. Additionally, the complexity of the design may require specialized knowledge for maintenance and repairs.