Dilution and Accretion Problem - Diff. Eq.

In summary, the tank containing 100 gal of brine and 2 lb/gal of salt has a salt concentration of 1/2 lb/gal at the start of the experiment. After 30 minutes, the tank contains 130 gal of brine and a salt concentration of 2 lb/gal.
ZachN

Homework Statement

A tank initially contains 100 gal of brine whose salt concentration is 1/2 lb/gal. Bine whose salt concentration is 2 lb/gal flows into the tank at the rate of 3 gal/min. The mixture flows out at the rate of 2 gal/min. Find the salt content of the brine and its concentration at the end of 30 min. Hint. After 30 min, the tank contains 130 gal of brine.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = change in salt content in time interval [tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the model I have come up with but can't get the correct answer:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = 6[tex]\Delta[/tex]t - (2x[tex]\Delta[/tex]t)/(100 + t)

6[tex]\Delta[/tex]t because salt content is increasing this much every interval.

- (2x[tex]\Delta[/tex]t)/(100 + t) because the salt content is decreasing this much every interval. (100 + t) represents that the total amount of gallons of brine are increasing this much every minute because 3 gals are entering and 2 gallons are leaving - hence a net of 1 gal/min increase.

If this is the correct equation, I am having a problem solving the diff. eq.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

ZachN said:
This is the model I have come up with but can't get the correct answer:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = 6[tex]\Delta[/tex]t - (2x[tex]\Delta[/tex]t)/(100 + t)

6[tex]\Delta[/tex]t because salt content is increasing this much every interval.

If this is the correct equation, I am having a problem solving the diff. eq.

Hi ZachN! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a delta: ∆ :wink:)

Yes, I get the same equation:

dx/du = 6 - 2s/u, where u = t + 100.

(i'm using u 'cos it's easier to write :wink:)

ok, solve the thingy equation, dx/du = -2s/u, and then look for a particular solution (there's a really easy one :biggrin:)

Thanks for the response, yeah I'm new here and I may be here a long time since I am teaching myself some maths.

Where is the "s" coming from and why do you only solve dx/du = - 2s/u? I tried to solve dx/du = 6 - 2x/u using an integrating factor but...

ZachN said:
Where is the "s" coming from

oops! :redface:

I was using s for salt, and then I noticed you were using x, and I meant to change them all but I forgot …

so s = x. :redface:
and why do you only solve dx/du = - 2s/u? I tried to solve dx/du = 6 - 2x/u using an integrating factor but...

It's another way of doing it …

I think it's called the "general solution and particular solution method" …

you solve it with any awkward stuff = 0, and then put the awkward stuff back in and more-or-less guess a "particular solution" to add on …

I prefer it (when it works! :rolleyes:), and it should give the same result. :smile:

1. What is the dilution and accretion problem in differential equations?

The dilution and accretion problem in differential equations refers to the process of modeling the change in concentration of a substance over time in a given system. This is commonly seen in chemical reactions, where the concentration of a reactant or product can change due to dilution (adding more solvent) or accretion (adding more of the same substance).

2. How is the dilution and accretion problem solved using differential equations?

The dilution and accretion problem is solved using a differential equation, which describes the rate of change of the substance's concentration over time. This equation takes into account the initial concentration, the rate of dilution or accretion, and any other factors that may affect the concentration. The solution to the equation provides the concentration at any given time.

3. What are some real-life applications of the dilution and accretion problem?

The dilution and accretion problem is commonly used in chemistry and biology to model the concentration of substances in a solution. It is also used in environmental studies to track the dispersion of pollutants in water or air. Additionally, this problem can be applied in economics to model the change in market share of a company due to competition or other factors.

4. Are there any limitations to using differential equations for the dilution and accretion problem?

While differential equations are a powerful tool for solving the dilution and accretion problem, they do have some limitations. They assume that the system is well-mixed and that the concentration changes continuously over time. In reality, there may be areas of the system where the concentration is not uniform or there may be sudden changes in concentration due to external factors.

5. Can the dilution and accretion problem be solved using other mathematical methods?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving the dilution and accretion problem, such as using numerical methods or statistical models. These methods may be more appropriate for certain types of systems or when dealing with complex data. However, differential equations remain a widely used and effective approach for solving this problem in many applications.