1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dilution and Accretion Problem - Diff. Eq.

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A tank initially contains 100 gal of brine whose salt concentration is 1/2 lb/gal. Bine whose salt concentration is 2 lb/gal flows into the tank at the rate of 3 gal/min. The mixture flows out at the rate of 2 gal/min. Find the salt content of the brine and its concentration at the end of 30 min. Hint. After 30 min, the tank contains 130 gal of brine.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = change in salt content in time interval [tex]\Delta[/tex]t

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the model I have come up with but can't get the correct answer:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = 6[tex]\Delta[/tex]t - (2x[tex]\Delta[/tex]t)/(100 + t)

6[tex]\Delta[/tex]t because salt content is increasing this much every interval.

- (2x[tex]\Delta[/tex]t)/(100 + t) because the salt content is decreasing this much every interval. (100 + t) represents that the total amount of gallons of brine are increasing this much every minute because 3 gals are entering and 2 gallons are leaving - hence a net of 1 gal/min increase.

If this is the correct equation, I am having a problem solving the diff. eq.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi ZachN! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a delta: ∆ :wink:)

Yes, I get the same equation:

dx/du = 6 - 2s/u, where u = t + 100.

(i'm using u 'cos it's easier to write :wink:)

ok, solve the thingy equation, dx/du = -2s/u, and then look for a particular solution (there's a really easy one :biggrin:)

4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the response, yeah I'm new here and I may be here a long time since I am teaching myself some maths.

Where is the "s" coming from and why do you only solve dx/du = - 2s/u? I tried to solve dx/du = 6 - 2x/u using an integrating factor but...

5. Nov 13, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oops! :redface:

I was using s for salt, and then I noticed you were using x, and I meant to change them all but I forgot …

so s = x. :redface:
    It's another way of doing it …

I think it's called the "general solution and particular solution method" …

you solve it with any awkward stuff = 0, and then put the awkward stuff back in and more-or-less guess a "particular solution" to add on …

I prefer it (when it works! :rolleyes:), and it should give the same result. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?