Modeling Salt Mixing in a Chemical Plant: Finding Eigenvalues and Equilibria

• Thread starter DeTroi1616
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brine
In summary, the salt level in tank 1 after 3 minutes was 15 lbs, the salt level in tank 2 after 3 minutes was 0 lbs, and the salt level in tank 3 after 3 minutes was 0 lbs.
DeTroi1616
A chemical plant with 3 tanks in succession with mizing of reactants and products. Brine tanks = fresh water flows into tank, mixed brine from tank 1 to tank 2, then tank 2 into tank 3, and out of tank 3.

Let xi(t) = lbs of salt in tank i at time t for i=1,2,3

Assume each flow rate is in gal/min

dx1/dt = (rate in) - (rate out) = 0 lbs/min - (r gal/min)*(x1 lbs / V1 gal)

dx1/dt = (-r / V1)*x1

dx2/dt = (r / V1)*x1 - (r / V2)*x2

dx3/dt = (r / V2)*x2 - (r / V3)*x3

To simplify the variables:

x1(t) = x x2(t) = y x3(t) = z

Let x1(t),y1(t),z1(t) = lbs of salt in tank 1 after t minutes

Suppose V1 = 20 gal, V2= 40 gal, and V3 = 50 gal and r = 10 gal/min with initial amounts of salt in each tank:

x(0) = 15 lbs, y(0) = 0 lbs, z(0) = 0 lbs

(a) Write the mathematical model in the form of dŷ/dt = Aŷ and find the 3x3 coefficent matrix A.

ŷ = vector y notation

I did this part and got dx/dt = -1/2x dy/dt = 1/2x-1/4y dz/dt = 1/4y - 1/5z

coefficent matrix: | 1/2 - λ 0 0 |

| 1/2 -1/4-λ 0 |

| 0 1/4 -1/5-λ|

b) Show hand work in finding the eigen values, by solving det(A-λI)=0, and eigenvectors of A.

I got Eigenvalues: λ1 = -1/2 λ2 = -1/4 λ3 = -1/5, but I am having trouble getting the eigen vectors

E = NOATION FOR EIGENVECTOR

c) Fidn the general solution as a linear combination of eigen solutions:

ŷ(t) = c1e^(λ1t)*E1 + c2e^(λ2t)*E2 + c3e^(λ3t)*E3

(d) find the formulas for x(t), y(t), and z(t), the maountf of salt in each tank after t minutes using theinitial data

(e) Find all equilibrium of the DE system dŷ/dt = Aŷ and describe their type (spiral or sink or real source, etc)

Physics news on Phys.org
I am puzzled as to what happens in tanks 2 and 3. If solution simple flows in and then out, with no additional water or solution, the whole problem is just what comes out of tank1. Tanks 2 and 3 might as well be a single outflow pipe.

I'm also confused, but for a different reason.

This sure sounds to me like a "homework style" question. I'm not a regular here, but shouldn't it be redirected to one of the homework forums?

chogg said:
I'm also confused, but for a different reason.

This sure sounds to me like a "homework style" question. I'm not a regular here, but shouldn't it be redirected to one of the homework forums?

Done.

What are 3 cascading brine tanks?

3 cascading brine tanks are a series of interconnected tanks used in the process of water softening. The brine tanks are filled with a salt solution which is used to regenerate the resin beads in the water softener.

What is the purpose of 3 cascading brine tanks?

The purpose of 3 cascading brine tanks is to ensure a continuous supply of softened water. The first tank is used to store the salt solution, the second tank is used for the actual softening process, and the third tank is used for rinsing the resin beads.

How do 3 cascading brine tanks work?

The first tank is filled with a salt solution, which is then pumped into the second tank where it comes into contact with the resin beads. The salt solution regenerates the resin beads, removing the hardness minerals from the water. The water then flows into the third tank where it is rinsed before being sent to the household.

What are the benefits of using 3 cascading brine tanks?

Using 3 cascading brine tanks ensures a continuous supply of softened water, as one tank is always in use while the others are being filled or rinsed. This also allows for more efficient regeneration of the resin beads, leading to longer-lasting water softening.

What maintenance is required for 3 cascading brine tanks?

The main maintenance required for 3 cascading brine tanks is regularly replenishing the salt solution in the first tank. It is also important to check and clean the tanks periodically to prevent any buildup of salt or other contaminants.