Water Tank Differential Equation Problem

In summary, the tank initially contains 400 gallons of brine with 100 pounds of salt dissolved in it. Pure water is added at a rate of 20 gallons per minute, and the mixture is drained at the same rate. After 30 minutes, the amount of salt remaining in the tank can be determined using the differential equation dy/dt = 20y/400, where y represents the amount of brine in the tank. The concentration of brine in the tank decreases over time, leading to a decrease in the amount of salt poured out every minute.
harrietstowe

Homework Statement

A tank initially contains 400 gal of brine in which 100 lb of salt are dissolved. Pure water is run into the tank at the rate of 20 gal/min, and the mixture (which is kept uniform by stirring) is drained off at the same rate. How many pounds of salt remain in the tank after 30 minutes?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

These were my variable definitions:
Let y = gallons of brine
yo=400 gal
dy/dt=-20 gal/min
Let w= gallons of water
wo= 0 gallons
dw/dt= +20 gal/min
y=yo+(dy/dt)t
y=400gal+(-20gal/min)(30min)
w=wo+(dw/dt)(t)
I was concerned because I got a negative answer
The physics side of me says that the water that is being poured in should cause the brine to leave the tank at an even faster rate but that would just give me an even more negative answer.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your mistake is in saying that dy/dt=-20. This is true in the beginning. But suppose that after a certain time, the mixture in the tank is 50% brine and 50% water, then (at that time) dy/dt=-10. Thus the amount of brine that is poured away every minute decreases. Your ODE should model that...

ok can you take that idea a little further please? I mean get what your saying but I am struggling to express that idea in the form of an equation

Last edited:
Well, at time t, there is y(t) gallons of brine in the water. Thus the concentration of brine in the water is y(t)/400. Since the water is flowing of at 20 gal/min, the amount of brine that pours out at time t is 20y(t)/400. Thus your differential equation is dy/dt= 20y/400.

What is a water tank differential equation problem?

A water tank differential equation problem is a mathematical model used to describe the rate of change in the water level of a tank over time. It takes into account factors such as the inflow and outflow rates of water, as well as the volume and shape of the tank.

What are the key variables in a water tank differential equation problem?

The key variables in a water tank differential equation problem include the volume and shape of the tank, the inflow and outflow rates of water, and the initial water level in the tank. These variables are used to determine the rate of change in the water level over time.

How is a water tank differential equation problem solved?

A water tank differential equation problem is typically solved using calculus techniques such as separation of variables and integration. The solution will provide an equation that describes the water level in the tank as a function of time.

What are some applications of water tank differential equation problems?

Water tank differential equation problems are commonly used in engineering and environmental sciences to model and predict the behavior of water systems. They can be applied to problems such as water storage and distribution, flood control, and groundwater flow.

What are some key assumptions made in a water tank differential equation problem?

Some key assumptions made in a water tank differential equation problem include a constant inflow and outflow rate, a constant tank volume and shape, and negligible evaporation or leakage. These assumptions allow for a simplified model that still accurately describes the behavior of the system.