Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional Analysis with non-dimensional initial parameter

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    I would like non-dimensionalize the equations which describe a non-Newtonian fluid model. In the constitutive equation (power-law model) there is a non-dimensional parameter: n. According to Buckingham's Pi theory, I must take all the relevant independent parameters (variables, constants, etc.) into account to form non-dimensional parameters. Parameter n should also be included, but (since it is non-dimensional) it will not appear anywhere. How can I handle this situation? I am sure that there are other areas in physics where initially known non-dimensional parameters turn up.

Thanks,
    Zoli

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2014 #2
    I managed to solve it.

4. Jan 20, 2014 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

How did you solve it? I have to admit I was stumped and hoped for an answer.

5. Jan 20, 2014 #4
    I realised that a dependent parameter (the consistency index: K[Pa s^n]) includes this non-dimensional parameter and this is the only one that changes when we consider a power-law fluid instead of a Newtonian fluid. Therefore we do not have to take this non-dimensional parameter into account as for the other quantities.

6. Jan 20, 2014 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

That makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook