1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional Analysis with non-dimensional initial parameter

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    I would like non-dimensionalize the equations which describe a non-Newtonian fluid model. In the constitutive equation (power-law model) there is a non-dimensional parameter: n. According to Buckingham's Pi theory, I must take all the relevant independent parameters (variables, constants, etc.) into account to form non-dimensional parameters. Parameter n should also be included, but (since it is non-dimensional) it will not appear anywhere. How can I handle this situation? I am sure that there are other areas in physics where initially known non-dimensional parameters turn up.

Thanks,
    Zoli

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2014 #2
    I managed to solve it.

4. Jan 20, 2014 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

How did you solve it? I have to admit I was stumped and hoped for an answer.

5. Jan 20, 2014 #4
    I realised that a dependent parameter (the consistency index: K[Pa s^n]) includes this non-dimensional parameter and this is the only one that changes when we consider a power-law fluid instead of a Newtonian fluid. Therefore we do not have to take this non-dimensional parameter into account as for the other quantities.

6. Jan 20, 2014 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

That makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook