1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac delta function definition

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    By definition of the Dirac delta function, we have:

[itex]\int f(x) \delta(x-a) dx=f(a) [/itex]

This is fair enough. But in ym notes there is a step that goes like the following:

[itex]\mathbf{\nabla} \wedge \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})=-\frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int_V dV' \nabla^2(\frac{1}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|}) \mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r'}) = \mu_0 \mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r})[/itex]

where we have used that [itex]\nabla^2(\frac{1}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|}) =-4 \pi \delta(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'})[/itex]

clearly the minus signs and the [itex]4 \pi[/itex]'s cancel so it's now just

[itex]\mathbf{\nabla} \wedge \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})=\mu_0 \int_V dV' \mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r'}) \delta(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'})[/itex]

i don't see how that goes from there to give [itex]\mu_0 \mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r})[/itex] as we are integrating with respect to [itex]V'[/itex] are we not? and so i would assume that the delta function would need to be of the form [itex]\delta(\mathbf{r'}-\mathbf{r})[/itex] in order to give the desired answer.

the onnly explanation i can come up with is that [itex]\delta(\mathbf{r'}-\mathbf{r})=\delta(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'})[/itex] since the delta function is symmetric about the spike. however the spike would be at different positions in these two cases. i'm kind of lost-any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's true.

No, the delta function has a spike whenever it's argument is zero. In both cases this occurs at [itex]r=r'[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook