Direct measurement of Kinetic Energy

In summary: PS-2103A for exampleIn summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of conducting an experiment to determine the kinetic energy of a mass dropped from a height, in order to confirm the conservation of potential and kinetic energy. It is suggested that this can be achieved by measuring mass, distance, and time, and determining the velocity using displacement and time measurements. An article is mentioned where the authors used plasticine to measure the rolling friction coefficient and determine the relationship between the height of a dropped iron ball and the volume of indentation in the plasticine. The use of motion sensors is also mentioned as a method to measure instantaneous velocity.
kfstarrs
Is there a direct experiment to determine the kinetic energy of a mass droped from a height to confirm the conservation of potential & kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
why not measure the velocity...?
am i missing something here?

kfstarrs said:
Is there a direct experiment to determine the kinetic energy of a mass droped from a height to confirm the conservation of potential & kinetic energy?

One can measure mass, distance/displacement, and time, and changes thereof.

The difference in gravitational potential energy is just product of the weight, mg, and the displacement (along the gradient, i.e. perpendicular to the 3D surface of constant gravitational potential) in the gravitational field.

As fargoth mentioned, one must measure, or rather determine the velocity, which is done my measuring displacement and time, determining the displacement as a function of time, the derivative of which is speed (magnitude of velocity). Knowing the instantaneous speed, one can determine (derive) the instantaneous kinetic energy.

Last edited:
An article in Physics Teacher Vol. 33 page 276 titled "Using plasticine to measure the rolling friction coefficient." describes how the authors determined the relationship between the height from which an iron ball is dropped onto a piece of plasticine and the volume of the indentation made in the plasticine by the iron ball. The totally inelastic collision ensures that all of the kinetic energy of the ball is absorbed by the modelling clay.

Astronuc said:
One can measure mass, distance/displacement, and time, and changes thereof.
The difference in gravitational potential energy is just product of the weight, mg, and the displacement (along the gradient, i.e. perpendicular to the 3D surface of constant gravitational potential) in the gravitational field.
As fargoth mentioned, one must measure, or rather determine the velocity, which is done my measuring displacement and time, determining the displacement as a function of time, the derivative of which is speed (magnitude of velocity). Knowing the instantaneous speed, one can determine (derive) the instantaneous kinetic energy.
How can we measure instantaneous velocity? Any instruments to do that?
I don't want your calculation algorithm, I know that anyway.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy measured directly?

Kinetic energy can be measured directly by using a specialized instrument called a ballistic pendulum, which measures the impact of an object in motion on a stationary target.

3. What units are used to measure kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). However, it can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or calories (cal).

4. What factors affect the kinetic energy of an object?

The kinetic energy of an object depends on its mass and velocity. The larger the mass and the faster the velocity, the greater the kinetic energy.

5. Why is it important to measure kinetic energy directly?

Direct measurement of kinetic energy allows for more accurate and precise measurements, which is crucial in many scientific applications such as studying the motion of particles or calculating the energy of moving objects in physics experiments.