Direction of Displacement Vector [2D Kinematics]

In summary, the conversation discusses solving two questions related to displacement vectors. The first question asks for the magnitude of the resultant displacement vector, which is found to be 20.1km by using the Pythagorean Theorem. The second question asks for the direction of the displacement vector, using the counter-clockwise angular direction to be positive within the limits of -180 degrees = 180 degrees. The solution involves using the arctan function to find the angle between the hypotenuse and the 2.1km line. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to use SOHCAHTOA and a reminder to reach out for further help if needed.
stickyriceyum

Homework Statement

Question 1 [Correctly Solved]
A pedestrian moves 2.1km east and then 20km north. Find the magnitude of the resultant displacement vector. Answer in units of km.

Answer = 20.1km

Question 2
What is the direction of the displacement vector (using the counter-clockwise angular direction to be positive, within the limits of -180 degrees = 180 degrees)? Answer in units of degrees/

The Attempt at a Solution

[Theta] = (arctan) (Ay/Ax)
[Theta] = (arctan) 20km/2.1km = 1.466

------

I'm probably using the wrong equation. :x
(using the counter-clockwise angular direction to be positive, within the limits of -180 degrees = 180 degrees) Also, I don't understand what that means. Will someone please explain? :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
question #1: Draw it on a sheet of paper, make a Cartesian plane, use the upper y-axis as north, right x-axis as east. You ll remember something!
*hint* Pythagorean Theorem ;)

Question #2: now I am not sure if ill explain this right but! i think that this : "using the counter-clockwise angular direction to be positive, within the limits of -180 degrees = 180 degrees" means find the angle opposite to the 20km line (i think its the angle between the hypotenus and the 2.1km line)
Let's say it is ;)
now remember SOHCAHTOA and see if you can do it.

Got more questions, just PM me. Goodluck!

I would like to clarify that the direction of a displacement vector is usually measured in degrees or radians in a counterclockwise direction from the positive x-axis. In this case, the direction of the displacement vector would be 81.87 degrees, which can also be written as -98.13 degrees (since it is within the limits of -180 degrees to 180 degrees). This means that the pedestrian moved in a direction that is 81.87 degrees away from the positive x-axis, which would be in the northeast direction.

As for the calculation of the direction, the correct equation to use is [Theta] = tan^-1 (Dy/Dx), where Dy and Dx represent the change in y and x coordinates, respectively. In this case, Dy = 20km and Dx = 2.1km, which gives us [Theta] = tan^-1 (20km/2.1km) = 81.87 degrees.

I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you understand the correct method for calculating the direction of a displacement vector.

1. What is the displacement vector in 2D kinematics?

The displacement vector in 2D kinematics is a mathematical representation of the change in position of an object with respect to time. It includes both the magnitude and direction of the change in position.

2. How is the direction of displacement vector determined?

The direction of displacement vector is determined by the angle between the initial and final positions of the object. This angle can be measured using a protractor or calculated using trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement refers to the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position, while distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by the object. Displacement is a vector quantity, while distance is a scalar quantity.

4. Can the direction of displacement vector be negative?

Yes, the direction of displacement vector can be negative. This happens when the object moves in the opposite direction of the positive x or y axis. The negative sign indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive axis.

5. How is the displacement vector graphically represented?

The displacement vector is graphically represented by an arrow pointing from the initial position to the final position of the object. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of displacement, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of displacement.