1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of Displacement Vector [2D Kinematics]

1. Sep 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question 1 [Correctly Solved]
    A pedestrian moves 2.1km east and then 20km north. Find the magnitude of the resultant displacement vector. Answer in units of km.

Answer = 20.1km

Question 2
    What is the direction of the displacement vector (using the counter-clockwise angular direction to be positive, within the limits of -180 degrees = 180 degrees)? Answer in units of degrees/

3. The attempt at a solution

[Theta] = (arctan) (Ay/Ax)
    [Theta] = (arctan) 20km/2.1km = 1.466

------

I'm probably using the wrong equation. :x
    (using the counter-clockwise angular direction to be positive, within the limits of -180 degrees = 180 degrees) Also, I don't understand what that means. Will someone please explain? :blushing:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2
    question #1: Draw it on a sheet of paper, make a Cartesian plane, use the upper y axis as north, right x-axis as east. You ll remember something!
    *hint* Pythagorean Theorem ;)

Question #2: now im not sure if ill explain this right but! i think that this : "using the counter-clockwise angular direction to be positive, within the limits of -180 degrees = 180 degrees" means find the angle opposite to the 20km line (i think its the angle between the hypotenus and the 2.1km line)
    Let's say it is ;)
    now remember SOHCAHTOA and see if you can do it.

Got more questions, just PM me. Goodluck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?