Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of percieved gravity - MIT lecture

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lecture-5/

starting at about 24 min in this video, Prof. Lewin starts talking about whirling an object around in a circle...now he then says that the direction of percieved gravity in is in the OPPOSITE direction to the centripetal acceleration..
    would I be correct in assuming, however, that on a free body diagram, gravity will still be drawn vertically downward?? if not, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2012 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

I watched all of Professor Lewin's lecture series on classical mechanics as preparation of 1st year university. I think the perceived gravity upwards is a result of the (fictitious)centrifugal force. From the perspective of the water, it is not moving in the bucket as it swirled around and so it 'invents' a centrifugal force (reminiscent of one not accelerating in a bus from one's own position) to counteract the centripetal force. Since this force is fictitious, on a free body diagram gravity would still be acting downwards.

4. Jun 4, 2012 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

earths gravity, yes. by "percieved gravity" he probably means the vector sum of earths gravity + centrifugal force in the rotating frame

5. Jun 4, 2012 #4
    ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook