1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of percieved gravity - MIT lecture

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...mechanics-fall-1999/video-lectures/lecture-5/

starting at about 24 min in this video, Prof. Lewin starts talking about whirling an object around in a circle...now he then says that the direction of percieved gravity in is in the OPPOSITE direction to the centripetal acceleration..
    would I be correct in assuming, however, that on a free body diagram, gravity will still be drawn vertically downward?? if not, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2012 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

I watched all of Professor Lewin's lecture series on classical mechanics as preparation of 1st year university. I think the perceived gravity upwards is a result of the (fictitious)centrifugal force. From the perspective of the water, it is not moving in the bucket as it swirled around and so it 'invents' a centrifugal force (reminiscent of one not accelerating in a bus from one's own position) to counteract the centripetal force. Since this force is fictitious, on a free body diagram gravity would still be acting downwards.

4. Jun 4, 2012 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

earths gravity, yes. by "percieved gravity" he probably means the vector sum of earths gravity + centrifugal force in the rotating frame

5. Jun 4, 2012 #4
    ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook