Directional Derivative Question

In summary: HJ1bWVudCBpcyBub3QgY3JlYXRlZCBhcyB3aXRoIHRoaXMgb25lLCBhdCBpcyBub3Qgc3BhY2VzIHRyYW5zYWN0IHRoYXQgYSB2ZXJldGFibCBtYWluLCAoc2Vjb25kIHZpb3RhcyB2KSA9IDAgZm9yIHNvbWUgcG9pbnQgYSBkaXN0cmFjdGlvbiB2IFx0XHUwMGZyZW1v
dr721

Homework Statement

There exists no function f: ℝn [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ℝ so that for some point a [itex]\in[/itex] ℝn, we have Dvf(a) > 0 for all nonzero vectors v [itex]\in[/itex] ℝn.

2. The attempt at a solution

No quite sure where to go with this one, any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the derivative along some v and along -v.

Right, so that'd be D and -D as -v is multiplied by the scalar -1. Would it be possible for somebody to restate the question? I'm not sure I understand what it's asking.

Well, its your question! How can someone else tell you what you are asking. You have probably copied it incorrectly because, as given, it makes no sense. You say "Dv(a)> 0" but you cannot "order" a vector space so it also makes no sense to say that a vector is "larger" than the 0 vector.

Yes, it is my question, and it is also copied verbatim from our book. And this question is not listed under the list of errors for the book, so I'm sorry if it seems wrong, but I have a strong feeling knowing my professor (who authored the book) that it is indeed accurate.

Nevermind, I just thought about that v, -v statement. Thanks voko!

dr721 said:

Homework Statement

There exists no function f: ℝn [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ℝ so that for some point a [itex]\in[/itex] ℝn, we have Dvf(a) > 0 for all nonzero vectors v [itex]\in[/itex] ℝn.

2. The attempt at a solution

No quite sure where to go with this one, any help would be great!

The statement is false as written, assuming that Dvf(a) means the directional derivative of f at a in direction v. A simple 1-dimensional counterexample is f(x) = |x|, whose directional derivative at x = 0 is +1 in both directions +1 and -1. (Of course, |x| is not differentiable at x = 0, but it _does_ have directional derivatives there.) A 2-dimensional counterexample is f(x,y) = √(x2+y2). Again, this has positive directional derivatives at (x,y) = (0,0), but is not a differentiable function there. Are you sure you have stated the problem correctly?

RGV

Last edited:

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a multivariable function in a given direction. It indicates how much the function changes when moving along a specific direction from a point.

How is a directional derivative calculated?

A directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the function and the unit vector representing the desired direction.

What is the significance of the directional derivative?

The directional derivative is significant because it allows us to determine the slope of a function in a given direction, which is useful in optimization and understanding the behavior of a function.

What is the difference between a directional derivative and a partial derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, while a partial derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, holding all other variables constant.

How can directional derivatives be used in real-world applications?

Directional derivatives have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to determine the maximum rate of change of temperature in a specific direction in a heat transfer problem or to find the direction of steepest descent in a cost optimization problem.