1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional derivatives and partial derivatives

1. Nov 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose f: R -> R is differentiable and let h(x,y) = f(√(x^2 + y^2)) for x ≠ 0. Letting r = √(x^2 + y^2), show that:

x(dh/dx) + y(dh/dy) = rf'(r)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have begun by showing that rf'(r) = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) * limt->0 (f(r+t) - f(r))/t

and written out the definition form of the directional derivatives. I cant seem to find a way to equate both sides of the equation. Can anyone help?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see that there is any "directional derivative" involved here. You are given that [itex]h(x,y)= f(\sqrt{x^2+ y^2})[/itex] . By the chain rule [itex]\partial f/\partial y= (df/dr)(\partial r/\partial y)[/itex] and [itex]\partial f/\partial x= (df/dr)(\partial r/\partial x[/itex].

With [itex]r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex], it is easy to find [itex]\partial r/\partial x[/itex] and [itex]\partial r/\partial y[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook