(Dis)proof of a sequence of functions being uniformly convergent

In summary, the derivative of a function does not converge uniformly if the function is not uniformly convergence.
Adblax

Homework Statement

Let g_n : R -> R be given by gn (x) := cos2n (x), does gn' converge uniformly?

Homework Equations

The derivative is as follows; -2nsin(x)cos2n-1, which I have found converges pointwise to the 0 function.

Formal definition of Uniform Convergence;

For all e>0, there exits N(e) in the natural numbers, such that for all n >= N, for all x in R,
imples Mod( fn(x) - f(x)) < e
where f is the limit of the sequence of functions fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been struggling at seeing how to prove functions are uniformly convergent in general, but have been told that this does not converge uniformly, however I really cannot see how this is true, as

Supremum norm(gn' - 0) ->0 as n-> Infinity,

which is an equivalent definition of uniform convergence, because the term cos2n-1 is dominant over 2n.

Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing you always need to do first is to determine the pointswise limit. To what function does [tex]\cos^{2n}(x)[/tex] converge pointswise? Is this limit continuous?

Sorry, I omitted my work there, as did not think it was as relevant, I found the pointwise limit, say g, to be defined as;

g(x) := {0 for x =/= k*Pi
{1 for x = k*Pi

For some k in the integers

This shows the limit function is not continuous, I had thought about using the theorem which says when gn is a sequence of C1 functions, that converge pointwise to g. Suppose gn' does converge uniformally, then it would have to converge to f, then g is C1 and f = g'.

Thus this would arrive at a contradiction as g is not C1, but I am not sure if you can twist the theorem in this way.

Yes, I suppose you could use that. But you're making things awfully complicated...

You probably showed somewhere that if a sequence of continuous functions converges uniformly, then it's limit is continuous to. I suggest you use this...

How could that be applicable to the derivative of the function though, I do not remember anything saying that if the sequence is not uniformly convergence, then the derivative must not be uniformly convergent.

The only thing I can think of is looking at the theorem about a sequence of regulated functions converging uniformly to f, then the integral of the sequence must converge to the integral of f.

Why do you want to do things with the derivative so much. It'll just make things complicated :confused:

All of the [tex]\cos_{2n}(x)[/tex] are continuous, yet the limit is not continuous. Hence the sequence does not converge uniformly...

Sorry I thought my function was clearer :P the question is asking whether the derivative converges, not the main function, hence why I was putting the ' next to some g, but looking back at it it is quite unclear hehe.

Oh I see. I understand now...

What you said in post 3 is the correct way of showing this thing I think...

Ok cool, thanks for that :) sorry about the confusion

1. What is the definition of uniform convergence for a sequence of functions?

Uniform convergence is a property of a sequence of functions, where the limit of the sequence is the same for all points in the domain. This means that for any value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding index in the sequence after which all the functions in the sequence are within epsilon distance of each other. In simpler terms, it means that the sequence of functions approaches its limit uniformly across the entire domain.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence refers to the convergence of a sequence of functions at individual points in the domain. In pointwise convergence, the limit of the sequence may vary at different points in the domain. On the other hand, uniform convergence ensures that the limit of the sequence is the same at all points in the domain, providing a stronger form of convergence.

3. How is uniform convergence related to continuity of the limit function?

If a sequence of functions is uniformly convergent to a limit function, then the limit function must be continuous. This is because uniform convergence ensures that the functions in the sequence are close to each other at all points in the domain, and as the sequence approaches its limit, the limit function must also approach the same value at all points in the domain.

4. Can a sequence of functions be uniformly convergent but not pointwise convergent?

Yes, it is possible for a sequence of functions to be uniformly convergent but not pointwise convergent. This can happen if the functions in the sequence have discontinuities or sharp jumps that do not diminish as the sequence approaches its limit. In this case, the functions in the sequence may not converge at individual points, but they are still close to each other across the entire domain, leading to uniform convergence.

5. What are some common techniques for proving uniform convergence of a sequence of functions?

There are a few common techniques for proving uniform convergence, including using the definition of uniform convergence, the Cauchy criterion for uniform convergence, and the Weierstrass M-test. Other methods such as the comparison test, Abel's test, and the Dirichlet test can also be used in certain cases. It is important to carefully analyze the properties of the sequence of functions and the limit function to determine the most appropriate method for proving uniform convergence.