(dis)prove this function does not have a limit at zero.

In summary, the function g:ℝ→ℝ defined by "g(x) = 0 for x being rational and g(x) = 1 for x being irrational" does not have a limit at zero. This was proven using the negation of the definition of the limit of a function at a point, which states that if a real number L is a limit of f at c, then for any ε>0, there exists a δ>0 such that if x is in the domain and 0<|x-c|<δ, then |f(x) - L|<ε. By using the triangle inequality, it was shown that no matter what value of L is chosen, there will always be a contradiction
Hodgey8806

Homework Statement

The function g:ℝ→ℝ defined by "g(x) = 0 for x being rational and g(x) = 1 for x being irrational" does not have a limit at zero.

Homework Equations

I have to use the definition of the limit of a function at a point--I can't use the sequential criterion this time.

So the definition of the limit of a function at a point is: (assuming function and 0 being the cluster point)
A real number L is said to be a limit of f at c if, given any ε>0, there exists a δ>0 s.t. if x is in the domain, and 0<|x-c|<δ, then |f(x) - L|<ε.

Thus the negation of the definition is:
A real number L is NOT a limit of f at c if there exist ε>0 s.t. for all δ>0, x is in the domain, 0<|x-c|<δ, AND |f(x)-L|≥ε.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am going to prove this true by using the negation of the definition.

Proof:
Assume the limit of L ≤ 0. Choose ε=1/2.
By denseness of the irrationals, for all δ>0, there exists x in the irrationals s.t. 0<|x|<δ, but |f(x)-0|=|1-L|≥1 ≥ 1/2=ε. Thus L≤0 is not a limit of g.

Assume the limit of L ≥ 1. Choose ε=1/2.
By denseness of the rationals, for all δ>0, there exists x in the rationals s.t. 0<|x|<δ, but |f(x)-L|=|0-L|≥1 ≥ 1/2=ε. Thus L≥1 is not a limit of g.

Assume the limit of 0≤ L ≤ 1/2. Choose ε=1/2.
By denseness of the irrationals, for all δ>0, there exists x in the irrationals s.t. 0<|x|<δ, but |f(x)-L|=|1-L|≥1/2=ε. Thus 0≤ L ≤ 1/2 is not a limit of g.

Assume the limit of 1/2< L ≤ 1. Choose ε=1/2.
By denseness of the rationals, for all δ>0, there exists x in the rationals s.t. 0<|x|<δ, but |f(x)-L|=|0-L|>1/2=ε. Thus 1/2< L ≤ 1 is not a limit of g.

Thus, we have proved for ever L in the reals that L cannot be a limit of this function.
Q.E.D

Physics news on Phys.org
Way too many cases, don't you think? Use the triangle inequality. If r is rational and i is irrational then |f(r)-f(i)|=|f(r)-L+L-f(i)|<=|f(r)-L|+|f(i)-L|.

Hmm, I don't quite see where this is going though. I understand the triangle inequality, but I don't understand its usefulness here. Do I need to show the epsilon as well? I'm assuming there is a way to "compact" what I did into this inequality, but I'm having trouble seeing that. Thank you very much :)

Oh ok! I think I see it now! We have
1=|f(r)-f(i)|=|f(r)-L+L-f(i)|<=|f(r)-L|+|f(i)-L|<=ε+ε=2ε by our definition for all ε>0
Taking ε=1/4, we are given:
1<=1/2, which is our contradiction. Thus, g does not have a limit at 0.
Q.E.D.

How is that?

Hodgey8806 said:
Oh ok! I think I see it now! We have
1=|f(r)-f(i)|=|f(r)-L+L-f(i)|<=|f(r)-L|+|f(i)-L|<=ε+ε=2ε by our definition for all ε>0
Taking ε=1/4, we are given:
1<=1/2, which is our contradiction. Thus, g does not have a limit at 0.
Q.E.D.

How is that?

Right. So the value of L doesn't really matter. No need to break into cases.

Oh ok, great! Thank you so much! This is genius and, for me at least, it is elegant. Haha, my teacher will be very impressed I think.

Hodgey8806 said:
Oh ok, great! Thank you so much! This is genius and, for me at least, it is elegant. Haha, my teacher will be very impressed I think.

The thinking, of course, is just that 0 and 1 can't possibly both be contained in an interval whose length is less than 1. The triangle inequality is just the formal way of saying that.

I see that now, and this application I think will be very useful for future problems. I have seen similar proofs even in our text that use the triangle inequality in such a way. But it was always just a little "in the dark" for me. However, I think this will very much help me see how to do a problem like this much more elegantly!

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point.

2. How do you prove that a function has a limit?

In order to prove that a function has a limit, you must show that the function approaches a single value as its input approaches a specific value. This can be done through various methods, such as using the epsilon-delta definition or using the limit laws.

3. How can you disprove that a function has a limit at zero?

To disprove that a function has a limit at zero, you must show that the function does not approach a single value as its input approaches zero. This can be done by finding two different sequences that approach zero but have different limits when plugged into the function.

4. What is the difference between a removable and non-removable discontinuity?

A removable discontinuity is a point where a function is undefined but can be made continuous by redefining the function at that point. A non-removable discontinuity is a point where the function cannot be made continuous by redefining the function at that point.

5. Can a function have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point. This can occur when the function has a removable discontinuity at that point.