Reversed limit definition for monotonic functions

The default definition of ##\lim_{x \to a}f(x)=L## is that for any ##\varepsilon >0## there exists ##\delta >0## such that ##\vert x-a \vert < \delta## implies ##\vert f(x)-L \vert < \varepsilon##. It follows that ##\lim_{x \to a}f(x)=L## for any ##a## in the domain of ##f## is equivalent with the condition that ##x=a## is the only point where ##\lim_{x \to a}f(x)=L## can happen.
ecoo

Homework Statement

Does the delta-epsilon limit definition in reverse work for describing limits in monotonic functions?

By reversed, one means for

lim (x -> a) f(x) = L

if for each δ there corresponds ε such that

0 < | x-a | < δ whenever | f(x) - L | < ε.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that it works, because this definition means that the range interval must lie within the domain interval, and it can be seen that shrinking δ also shrinks ε, which is how the usual definition works but in reverse.

I don't think this would work for non-monotonic functions because there can be many f(x) that satisfy
| f(x) - L | < ε but not | f(x) - L | < ε. Hopefully someone can also confirm this part too.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can define whatever you like, as long as it is well defined. For this reason it should be helpful to indicate which variable depends on which and to explicitly write the quantors. If I read it correctly, then ##\varepsilon = \varepsilon(\delta)##. But then I have difficulties with the next line. I read ##\forall \, \delta \, \exists \, \varepsilon(\delta)\, : \,\vert \, f(x)-L\,\vert \, < \varepsilon(\delta) \Longrightarrow \,\vert \,x-a\,\vert \,< \delta \,##. The order of the quantors don't seem to reflect to the order of the conclusion. And how do you specify ##L##\,?

The remaining question is in any case: What for?

fresh_42 said:
You can define whatever you like, as long as it is well defined. For this reason it should be helpful to indicate which variable depends on which and to explicitly write the quantors. If I read it correctly, then ##\varepsilon = \varepsilon(\delta)##. But then I have difficulties with the next line. I read ##\forall \, \delta \, \exists \, \varepsilon(\delta)\, : \,\vert \, f(x)-L\,\vert \, < \varepsilon(\delta) \Longrightarrow \,\vert \,x-a\,\vert \,< \delta \,##. The order of the quantors don't seem to reflect to the order of the conclusion. And how do you specify ##L##\,?

I forgot the part where δ > 0 and ε > 0, so I think it would be written like this:

##\forall \, \delta \ > 0, \exists \, \varepsilon(\delta)\ > 0, : \,\vert \, f(x)-L\,\vert \, < \varepsilon(\delta) \Longrightarrow \, 0 < \vert \,x-a\,\vert \,< \delta \,##

L is the supposed limit.

lim (x -> a) f(x) = L

fresh_42 said:
The remaining question is in any case: What for?

I'm not very experienced in this type of math, so it's just a random inquiry.

It doesn't really make sense. You can have ##f(x) = L## for several points ##x## which can be far away from ##x=a##. That's where "what for" is needed. The way it is written now, is only confusing (IMO). It is more a condition of monotone behavior than on limits, because it says, ##\lim_{x \to a}f(x)=L## can only happen in a neighborhood of ##x=a## and nowhere else.

1. What is the definition of a monotonic function?

A monotonic function is a mathematical function that either always increases or always decreases as its input value increases. In other words, it has a consistent trend or pattern in its output values.

2. How is the limit of a monotonic function defined?

The limit of a monotonic function is defined as the value that the function approaches as its input value approaches a specific value from either the left or the right. This can be written as lim f(x) = L where x approaches a specific value.

3. What is the reversed limit definition for monotonic functions?

The reversed limit definition for monotonic functions is a way to determine the limit of a function by looking at its output values rather than its input values. It states that the limit of a monotonic function is equal to the supremum (or greatest upper bound) of the set of all output values that are less than or equal to the limit value.

4. How does the reversed limit definition differ from the traditional limit definition?

The traditional limit definition looks at the behavior of a function as its input value approaches a specific value from both the left and the right. The reversed limit definition, on the other hand, only considers the output values of the function and does not require the input value to approach from both sides.

5. Can the reversed limit definition be applied to all monotonic functions?

Yes, the reversed limit definition can be applied to all monotonic functions, regardless of whether they are increasing or decreasing. This is because the definition only relies on the monotonicity of the function, not its specific behavior or shape.