1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Unique Limit of a Complex Function

1. Apr 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm struggling with the proof that the limit of a complex function is unique. I'm struggling to see how |L-f(z*)| + |f(z*) - l'| < ε + ε is obtained.

2. Relevant equations

0 < |z-z0| < δ implies |f(z) - L| < ε, where L is the limit of f(z) as z→z0 .

3. The attempt at a solution

Let S ⊆ ℂ.

We consider some L' ≠ L, a limit of the function f(z) as z→z0. Choose ε = 1/2|L-L'| to find δ1 > 0, δ2 > 0 such that

z ∈ S, 0 < |z-z0| < δ1 implies |f(z) - L| < ε
    z ∈ S, 0 < |z-z0| < δ2 implies |f(z) - L'| < ε

Note that z0 is a limit point, so there exists some z* ∈ S such that 0 < |z0 - z*| < min {δ1, δ2}. Then

|L-L'| = |L-f(z*) + f(z*) - L'| ≤ |L - f(z*)| + |f(z*) - L'| < ε + ε.

This is the part where I get confused. I don't see how we can say that |L - f(z*)| + |f(z*)- L'| < ε + ε.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Both |L - f(z*)| and |f(z*) - L'| are smaller than ε, so their sum would be smaller than 2ε. Is that the part you're confused on?
    Or are you confused about how they went from |L-f(z*) + f(z*) - L'| to |L - f(z*)| + |f(z*) - L'|?

4. Apr 2, 2015 #3
    That is the part I'm confused on. I realise that they must be smaller than ε, I just don't see how they are.

5. Apr 2, 2015 #4

Mark44

Since both L and L' are assumed to be the limits, it has to be the case that |f(z*) - L| < ε and that |f(z*) - L'| < ε. Most of the limit proofs work backwards from this conclusion to determine what the δ needs to be.

6. Apr 2, 2015 #5
    Sorry, I thought I'd deleted part of the quote. This is the part I'm confused about:
    I realise that they must be smaller than ε, I just don't see how they are.

7. Apr 2, 2015 #6

Mark44

See my edited post. I changed it after I wrote it.

8. Apr 2, 2015 #7
    I think this is where I'm confused: In the first part there is |L - f(z*)| < ε, whereas you've written that is has to be the case that |f(z*) - L| < ε. Are the two equivalent? I see now how |f(z*) - l'| < ε and |f(z*) - l'| < ε must be true as they come from the definition of the limit. However, we have |L - f(z*)|.

9. Apr 2, 2015 #8

Mark44

The two are equal.
    It's always the case that |a - b| = |b - a|.

10. Apr 2, 2015 #9
    Thanks very much for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted