Disadvantagês of Stêp Indêx Fibêr

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter shayaan_musta
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fiber Index
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
shayaan_musta
Messages
208
Reaction score
2
Hello experts!

I wonder if there are any disadvantagês of Stêp Indêx Fibêr?

I searched for my knowledge but only found advantagês.

Thank you all.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry. Did you read my question properly? I asked about step indexed fiber not graded index fiber.
 
Had you read the link UltrafastPED gave, you would have got your answer

The most significant disadvantage of step indexed fibre is that of its high level of modal dispersion
This makes it much less efficient than graded index fibre.

Step indexed fibre is OK for single mode transmission, where-as graded index fibre is preferred for multi-mode transmissions where the dispersion level is much lower

Regards
Dave
 
Last edited:
Why did you use those weird e's in the title?
I though it was some specialised term
 
maybe he has a fancy Multi-language keyboard :wink:
D
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Yes, I have read the link. Whenever we google anything then 80% wikipedia opens. So why didn't I read that link. But I want to know your view. I have read. I thought to know from experts.
 
modal dispersion in multimode step index fiber not in single/monomode step fiber.
 
shayaan_musta said:
Yes, I have read the link. Whenever we google anything then 80% wikipedia opens. So why didn't I read that link. But I want to know your view. I have read. I thought to know from experts.

You have to learn to read for understanding; the experts - such as your university professors - will only point you in the correct direction. The teacher does not impart understanding; that comes from the effort of the student to understand the presentation, with, perhaps, some specific questions that show the effort that has been made.