Discharge-rods safety accessory

• Thread starter rabrave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Safety
In summary, the conversation is about a final year project involving designing and constructing an electronic device that can detect the success or failure of a discharge process. The device will be used in high voltage laboratories and needs to be able to operate with capacitors charged to hundred Kilovolts. The individual is seeking suggestions on how to extract a small amount of charge from the discharge cable to activate the device. They have considered using a parallel resistor arrangement but are open to other ideas.
rabrave
am doing my final year project on designing and constructing the device i have named up there.

It is an electronic device which is to be attached with the discharge rod and give an appropriate signal if the discharge process was successful or not.

The challenge is, the device is to be used in high voltage laboratories, the capacitors are charged to hundred Kilovolts.

I would appreciate some suggestions on how i can scoop a small amount of charge from the discharge cable and use it to trigger my device to operate as the capacitor discharges.

>I though of using a parallel resistor arrangement to branch the charge to my "security accessory", but still am curious to know if someone may have a better way

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This should be placed in the Homework Help section. Show what you have done so far, enumerate your goals, and show what you have accomplished so far.

too wide that i can't easily get to homework page!

What is a discharge-rods safety accessory?

A discharge-rods safety accessory is a tool used in scientific experiments to safely discharge static electricity from objects or surfaces. It is typically made of a conductive material, such as metal, and has a sharp point at one end to allow for easy grounding.

How does a discharge-rods safety accessory work?

When brought close to a charged object or surface, the sharp point of the discharge-rods safety accessory allows for the gradual release of static electricity, preventing any potential sparks or shocks. It works by providing a path for the electric charge to flow through and disperse.

Why is a discharge-rods safety accessory important in scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments, it is common for objects or surfaces to become charged with static electricity. This can be dangerous for both the equipment and the experimenter. A discharge-rods safety accessory helps to prevent any potential hazards by safely grounding the electric charge.

Is a discharge-rods safety accessory necessary for all experiments?

It is not necessary for all experiments, but it is highly recommended to have one on hand in case of any unexpected static electricity buildup. It is especially important when working with flammable materials or delicate electronic equipment.

How should a discharge-rods safety accessory be used?

To use a discharge-rods safety accessory, simply bring the sharp point close to the charged object or surface and hold it steady until the electric charge is safely discharged. It is important to use caution and follow proper safety protocols when handling the accessory to avoid any accidents.