1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discharging capacitor in a grounded circuit

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the circuit below, the capacitors labeled C1 and C2 both have capacitance C.
    They are connected through a switch and a resistor of resistance R. Capacitor
    C1 is initially charged with a potential V1(0) at time t = 0, while capacitor C2
    is uncharged at time t=0.
    At time t = 0, the switch is closed and the charge on C1 begins to move to C2.
    Write a differential equation for the time dependence of V1(t) and V2(t). Solve
    for the time dependence of the voltage across C2 for times after t = 0 when the
    switch is closed

The circuit picture can be seen here: http://imgur.com/uy36j0z

2. Relevant equations

Kirchoff's laws
    Ohm's Law
    Q = CV for a capacitor

3. The attempt at a solution

Obviously, charge is conserved so [itex]Q_1(t) + Q_2(t) = Q_1(0)[/itex]. This also means that [itex] \frac{d Q_1}{dt} = -\frac{d Q_2}{dt} = 0 [/itex].

I tried to use Kirchoff's laws and got:
    [tex] 0 = V_1(t) + IR + V_2(t) = \frac{Q_1(t)}{C} + R \frac{dQ_1(t)}{dt} + \frac{Q_2(t)}{C} = \frac{Q_1(0)-Q_2(t)}{C} - R \frac{dQ_2(t)}{dt} + \frac{Q_2(t)}{C} [/tex].

However, I'm a little concerned here due to two things: Solving this differential equation gives something linear in time instead of exponential, as I intuitively know that it must be, and I haven't taken into account the portion of the circuit that is grounded. What am I doing wrong? (Once I find the charge it is trivial to get V from that)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That last part at the end "=0" looks incorrect.

I believe you have a sign error in the loop equation that you wrote. The signs of the two capacitor voltages should be opposite, IMO.

But I would approach the question a bit differently. You know the current is the same around the loop, so I would write the KCL at the two nodes (two sides of the resistor) and solve...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted