Discover Roger Penrose's Non-Mathematical Books!

• Thread starter ubergewehr273
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, Roger Penrose's books are all about advanced mathematics and physics, but can be enjoyed by those without a strong background in those subjects. "The Emperor's new mind" is a good read.
ubergewehr273
Hi everybody & a happy new year!
Could somebody suggest books by Roger Penrose that do not involve mathematics ?
Books that are more towards popular science ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you won't find any Penrose book without some detail math. My favorite is Road to Reality:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0679776311/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There's a fair amount of advanced math but I think there's a lot of writing too that would help you navigate through the math if you take the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Road to Reality is great but full of math, but that's more a feature than a bug. There's no way to explain physics right without a minimum of math, but math is great fun too!

What about "The Emperor's new mind" ?
Is that a good read ?

Ashes Panigrahi said:
What about "The Emperor's new mind" ?
Is that a good read ?
It seems that you only want a book by Penrose rather than a book on physics. These are different things!

I don't know "The Emperor's new mind".

The Emperor's New Mind is a good read. I can't remember whether it has equations or not. I think it is an easier book than The Road to Reality, but still quite above the average level of popular science books. But since one doesn't read a popular science book with the same intent as a textbook, it should be fine to read it to whet one's appetite as an amazing overview of modern mathematics and physics. The parts about established mathematics and physics are very good, even though they may have the occasional error. The parts about consciousness are entertaining but highly speculative, and the average reader who believes himself to be conscious will probably have as much insight into the subject as Penrose.

Incidentally, if I recall correctly, this was the book of Penrose that was one of early introductions to Schroedinger's cat. I think I was in high school or doing military service at that time, and I did write to Penrose about it, and he very kindly replied! I can't remember my question, but I believe his answer was that unitary evolution preserves orthogonality, if that makes any sense:)

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What are some of the non-mathematical books written by Roger Penrose?

Roger Penrose has written several non-mathematical books, including "The Emperor's New Mind: Concerning Computers, Minds, and The Laws of Physics", "Shadows of the Mind: A Search for the Missing Science of Consciousness", and "The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe".

2. How are Penrose's non-mathematical books different from his mathematical works?

In his non-mathematical books, Penrose explores topics such as consciousness, artificial intelligence, and the laws of the universe in a more accessible and philosophical manner. His mathematical works, on the other hand, focus on complex mathematical concepts and theories.

3. Are Penrose's non-mathematical books suitable for non-scientific readers?

Yes, Penrose's non-mathematical books are written in a way that is accessible to readers without a strong background in science or mathematics. However, some concepts may still be challenging for those without a basic understanding of scientific principles.

4. Are Penrose's non-mathematical books based on his own research?

Yes, Penrose incorporates his own research and theories into his non-mathematical books. However, he also draws on the work of other scientists and philosophers to support his ideas and arguments.

5. Can reading Penrose's non-mathematical books help improve one's understanding of science and mathematics?

Yes, Penrose's non-mathematical books offer a unique perspective on complex scientific concepts, making them a valuable resource for those looking to deepen their understanding of science and mathematics. However, these books should not be seen as a replacement for formal education in these fields.