Discovering a Unique PCM: High Volume Change, Low Heat Storage Capacity

In summary, the PCM has a large volume change at a narrow temperature range, and can be used to store heat. However, it is best suited for applications that require a specific temperature transition.
eknifff
I'm trying to find a Phase Change Material (PCM), but the entire industry is pretty one-minded when it comes to what it should be used for - energy storage. You can see by the wording of the Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-change_material
that they list advantages like "High volumetric latent heat storage capacity" and disadvantages like "Change of volume is very high"
However, for my project, I'm actually trying to find the opposite! I'm looking for a PCM with large volume change but low heat storage capacity. Finding it really hard to google this as the industrial bias means everyone is looking the other direction, so I'm putting this out here. Anyone knows of any PCM, or broadly any PCM type, that fits this description?
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's hard to have a big change of volume without doing work (storing heat).

Likes eknifff
Thanks Dr. Courtney! That makes good sense.

Speaking of this energy imbalance, I noticed that commercial providers rarely provide specifications on acceptable pressures, usually only giving operational limits in terms of temperature. Does this mean that it is fine for all reasonable pressures? That doesn't really make sense, because the expanding PCM might end up doing a lot of work if the external pressure is large, while the amount of heat energy input seems to be approximately a constant.

It would e hard to hold providers to their specs at pressures that were not close to atmospheric pressures.

So physically, what's happening when I put in enough energy to melt the PCM, but I constrain the material with a large pressure such that its expansion would result in more work done than the heat energy I put in?

What temperature transition are you looking for ?
Do you need a solid–liquid or liquid–gas phase transition ?

The traditional thermostat fitted to ICEs contains a blend of paraffin wax. That is selected because it has a large volumetric change over a narrow temperature range.

If you know the temperature of the transition then look at a table of melting points for organic chemicals. The CRC handbook has such tables, sorted in temperature order.

I once used that technique to find a chemical for a specific temperature sensor and found that Lewisite had the optimum properties. Unfortunately it is highly toxic, so check your selection carefully.

What is a different kind of PCM?

A different kind of PCM refers to phase change materials that have unique properties or compositions compared to traditional PCMs. These materials can have different melting points, thermal conductivity, or other characteristics that make them suitable for specific applications.

What are the advantages of using a different kind of PCM?

The advantages of using a different kind of PCM include a wider range of melting points, better thermal stability, and increased energy efficiency in applications such as thermal energy storage, building insulation, and electronic cooling.

How are different kinds of PCMs developed?

Different kinds of PCMs are developed through research and development in materials science and engineering. Scientists explore new compositions and structures to create unique properties that make them suitable for specific applications.

What are some examples of different kinds of PCMs?

Some examples of different kinds of PCMs include salt hydrates, paraffin waxes, and organic compounds such as fatty acids. These materials have varying melting points, thermal conductivities, and other properties that make them useful for different applications.

What are the potential applications of a different kind of PCM?

A different kind of PCM has potential applications in thermal energy storage, building insulation, temperature control in electronics, and solar energy systems. They can also be used in medical devices, textiles, and other industrial processes.