How can heat capacity be determined when both pressure and volume are changing?

In summary, the heat capacity is the ratio of the heat added to an object to the resulting temperature change. For a gas, there is also a volume change when the gas is heated and this implies work was done on the gas. Obviously, the energy came for the heat, so one could say that it did not contribute to the temperature change. However, by analyzing the exponent that best fit the data, one can tell which process was actually happening.
gsyz
Hello all,

I am taking a thermodynamics course and unfortunately my professor is not very instructive. I have attended every class and I still feel lost.

I was wondering how it is possible to find heat capacity if both the pressure and the volume are changing? I was under the impression that one or the other had to be held constant.

Also, what is a polytropic process? He uses the term in homeworks but it never appears in the textbook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm feeling very frustrated by the lack of understanding the material.

Thanks, gsyz

Science news on Phys.org
gsyz said:
I was wondering how it is possible to find heat capacity if both the pressure and the volume are changing?

Heat capacity is the ratio of the heat added to an object to the resulting temperature change.

This is straight forward for a solid. For a gas, there is also a volume change when the gas is heated and this implies work was done on the gas. Obviously, the energy came for the heat, so one could say that it did not contribute to the temperature change. But then, nothing in the initial definition states that there most not be a volume change. The full characteristics of a gas can be known from 2 values of heat capacity, one measured at constant volume and one measured at constant pressure.

More on Wikipedia

gsyz said:
Also, what is a polytropic process?

A polytropic process is a generic process that obeys the relation ## pv^n =C##.

The fun thing about this process is that you can model all common thermodynamic processes:

if ##n = 0##, it's an isobaric process;
if ##n = +\infty##, it's an isochoric process;
if ##n = 1##, it's an isothermic process;
if ##n = \gamma##, it's an adiabatic process.

So you can measure pressure and volume of a gas undergoing a certain process and by analyzing the exponent that best fit your data, you can tell which process was actually happening.

More on Wikipedia

Related to How can heat capacity be determined when both pressure and volume are changing?

1. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of how much heat a substance can hold.

2. How do you find heat capacity?

Heat capacity can be found by dividing the amount of heat energy absorbed by a substance by the change in temperature. This is usually expressed in units of J/°C or cal/°C.

3. What factors affect heat capacity?

The main factors that affect heat capacity are the type of substance, its mass, and its temperature. Different substances have different heat capacities and the larger the mass of a substance, the more heat energy it can hold. Additionally, the heat capacity of a substance changes as its temperature changes.

4. How is heat capacity different from specific heat?

Heat capacity is the overall measure of how much heat energy a substance can hold, while specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a given mass of a substance by one degree Celsius. In other words, specific heat takes into account the mass of the substance, while heat capacity does not.

5. Can heat capacity be measured or calculated?

Yes, heat capacity can be measured experimentally by heating a substance and measuring the change in temperature. It can also be calculated using the specific heat and mass of a substance, or by using thermodynamic equations such as Q = mcΔT, where Q is heat energy, m is mass, c is specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.