Discrepancy in force of friction in a problem

In summary, the given information is inconsistent and can be interpreted in multiple ways, leading to different solutions for the force of friction. It is also unclear how to calculate the work done by the frictional force, as the problem is overspecified and lacks necessary information. The last part of the problem may also require assuming that the normal force is always greater than zero in order to solve for the angle.
fredrogers3

Homework Statement

Here is the problem: A student pushes a 5.0 kg block at a constant speed 3 m across the ceiling of
her room using a force Fa
of magnitude 85 N and angle 75º. The coefficient of
kinetic friction between the block and the ceiling is 0.40.
Now, we must find the work done by the frictional force.

Homework Equations

My Newton Second Laws:
F, total,x direction= Facosθ-forcefriction=0
F, total, y direction=-Fn-mg+Fasinθ=0

The Attempt at a Solution

When I solve for the force of friction, my answer comes out different depending on how I solve it. For instance, if I use my x direction relations, I would get forcefriction=facosθ. Thus, forcefriction would be 85cos75= 21.9996
If I solve the y eqn for fn, I get a normal force of 33.1. This multiplied by the kinetic constant (.4) is not 21.9996. What is causing the differences here in the friction forces?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't find the work done. You can only find the power dissipated by friction.

What is the net vertical force F pushing the block up against the ceiling?

Then how is power related to F, μk and the velocity?

The problem appears to be overspecified, i.e. the given data are contradictory. I tried taking 75 degrees as the angle to the vertical, but it made it worse.

rude man said:
You can't find the work done. You can only find the power dissipated by friction.

What is the net vertical force F pushing the block up against the ceiling?

Then how is power related to F, μk and the velocity?

It says the block is pushed 3 m at a constant speed, not at a constant speed of 3 m/s.

fredrogers3 said:
What is causing the differences here in the friction forces?
Looks like the information in the problem statement is inconsistent.

haruspex said:
The problem appears to be overspecified, i.e. the given data are contradictory. I tried taking 75 degrees as the angle to the vertical, but it made it worse.

So are you saying that the force of friction could have different values based on how one solves the equations?

haruspex said:
It says the block is pushed 3 m at a constant speed, not at a constant speed of 3 m/s.

Oh yeh. Thanks.

haruspex said:

I agree. Either the box doesn't touch the ceiling or there is not enough force left to push the box. Plus there is the overspecification problem on top of that ... ay ay ay!

fredrogers3 said:
So are you saying that the force of friction could have different values based on how one solves the equations?

If the force was properly defined then the coeff. of friction would ensue. You can't define the "push" (horizontal) force and also specify the mass along with the friction coeff.

fredrogers3 said:
I'm saying the information provided is internally inconsistent. The answer you get will depend on which piece of information you ignore. E.g. if you ignore the given coefficient of friction then you can calculate it from the other data (and it won't be 0.4). Or you could ignore the magnitude of the force, or the angle of the force, or the mass of the block...
Ah - there is just one possibility. Maybe this isn't in the usual 9.81m/s2 gravity!

Do you by any chance have professor Brown at NIU as your instructor? Working on this problem set too, and I'm stumped by the last problem (the one where it asks for the smallest angle she can push before the block falls), and stumbled upon this. That's definitely troubling that the problem is written badly (what a surprise), and can be interpreted multiple ways. When I solved for the frictional force, I solved for the normal force first (using the y equation), then plugged that into the equation for friction, and ended up getting a frictional force of around 13N. Have you figured out the last problem yet?

Aigik said:
Do you by any chance have professor Brown at NIU as your instructor? Working on this problem set too, and I'm stumped by the last problem (the one where it asks for the smallest angle she can push before the block falls), and stumbled upon this. That's definitely troubling that the problem is written badly (what a surprise), and can be interpreted multiple ways. When I solved for the frictional force, I solved for the normal force first (using the y equation), then plugged that into the equation for friction, and ended up getting a frictional force of around 13N. Have you figured out the last problem yet?

I am in Professor Brown's class! I got the same frictional force that you got, but it did seem strange that solving for the frictional force in the other equation gave a different answer. Either way, I think for the last part, you have to assume that the the normal force must always be greater than zero in order to solve for theta.

fredrogers3 said:

Homework Statement

Here is the problem: A student pushes a 5.0 kg block at a constant speed 3 m across the ceiling of her room using a force F a of magnitude 85 N and angle 75º. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the ceiling is 0.40.
Now, we must find the work done by the frictional force.

Homework Equations

My Newton Second Laws:
F, total,x direction= Facosθ-forcefriction=0
F, total, y direction=-Fn-mg+Fasinθ=0

The Attempt at a Solution

When I solve for the force of friction, my answer comes out different depending on how I solve it. For instance, if I use my x direction relations, I would get forcefriction=facosθ. Thus, forcefriction would be 85cos75= 21.9996
If I solve the y eqn for fn, I get a normal force of 33.1. This multiplied by the kinetic constant (.4) is not 21.9996. What is causing the differences here in the friction forces?
Is the angle of 75° with respect to the [STRIKE]vertical[/STRIKE] horizontal ?

If so, I don't see a discrepancy, except that the horizontal component of force, Fa, is greater than the force of friction. If those are the only forces involved, then the block would accelerate and not move at a constant speed. If there is some other force, then the problem is fine.

Added in Edit:
I meant to say horizontal rather than vertical . DUH !

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Is the angle of 75° with respect to the vertical ?

If so, I don't see a discrepancy, except that the horizontal component of force, Fa, is greater than the force of friction. If those are the only forces involved, then the block would accelerate and not move at a constant speed. If there is some other force, then the problem is fine.

The angle of 75 degrees is with respect to the horizontal.

SammyS said:
If those are the only forces involved, then the block would accelerate and not move at a constant speed.
It seems fair to assume that all relevant forces are mentioned, and it does say constant speed. Therefore I still see it as inconsistent.

Aigik said:
The angle of 75 degrees is with respect to the horizontal.

Yes, the problem as stated is impossible.

OK, so of the 85N, sin(75)*85 goes to push up. That's 82N of vertical up-push. Subtract the weight of the box, you get 82 - 49 = 33 lbs net up-push. So horizontal force needed to set the box in motion is 33*0.4 = 13N but the 85N's horizontal component is 85*cos(75) = 22N. So either the angle had to be greater than 75 deg or the coeff of friction has to be greater.

haruspex said:
It seems fair to assume that all relevant forces are mentioned, and it does say constant speed. Therefore I still see it as inconsistent.
Well, I suppose that makes sense. If one considers that there is some unmentioned force present, it would need to be horizontal in order to solve the problem -- not really a reasonable assumption.

If the problem had not stated the the speed was constant, it would have been fine.

SammyS said:
Well, I suppose that makes sense. If one considers that there is some unmentioned force present, it would need to be horizontal in order to solve the problem -- not really a reasonable assumption.

If the problem had not stated the the speed was constant, it would have been fine.

OTOH, as I posted, there is one way to make it consistent - don't assume the gravitational field is as at Earth's surface. Maybe it's on the moon.

1. What is discrepancy in force of friction?

Discrepancy in force of friction refers to a difference between the expected value of frictional force and the actual value obtained in a problem. It can occur due to various factors such as experimental errors, variations in surface conditions, or incorrect assumptions.

2. How does discrepancy in force of friction affect the accuracy of results?

The discrepancy in force of friction can significantly affect the accuracy of results in a problem. It can lead to errors in calculations and result in incorrect conclusions. Therefore, it is essential to identify and minimize any discrepancies in force of friction in scientific experiments.

3. What are some common sources of discrepancy in force of friction?

Some common sources of discrepancy in force of friction include variations in surface roughness, temperature, and humidity, as well as experimental errors such as incorrect measurements or equipment malfunctions. Additionally, the assumptions made in the problem may not always reflect the actual conditions, leading to discrepancies.

4. How can discrepancy in force of friction be reduced?

To reduce the discrepancy in force of friction, it is crucial to carefully control and measure all relevant variables, including surface conditions, temperature, and humidity. Additionally, using multiple trials and averaging the results can help to reduce the impact of experimental errors. Ensuring that the assumptions made in the problem are accurate can also help to minimize discrepancies.

5. How can one account for discrepancies in force of friction in a scientific study?

In a scientific study, it is essential to acknowledge and account for any discrepancies in force of friction. This can be done by discussing the potential sources of discrepancies and their possible impact on the results. Additionally, including a margin of error or uncertainty in the calculations can provide a more accurate representation of the data.