Discrete mathematics and its application 2.4 problem 26

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a formula for when m [tex]\sum[/tex] k=0 the flooring function of[k1/3 ] ,m is a positive integer.

2. Relevant equations

n[tex]\prod[/tex] j=m aj

3. The attempt at a solution

the flooring function of[k1/3] = K

the summation of K is [tex]\frac{m(m+1)}{2}[/tex]

There's a table of useful summation formulas in the Discrete Mathematics and Its Application sixth edition textbook pg.157 and that's where I got the summation formula for K. Just plug in m in the formula for the summation of K.
  2. jcsd
  3. omit the second part

2. Relevant equations

nLaTeX Code: \\prod j=m aj
    ....not part of the problem
  4. omit the second part

2. Relevant equations

nLaTeX Code: \\prod j=m aj
    ....not part of the problem
  5. Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's not clear to me what you're asking. When [tex]m\sum_{k = 0}^? floor(k^{1/3})[/tex] does what?
  6. I have to find the summation formula for floor(K1/3):; and m is the on top of the summation symbol.
  7. Mark44

Start by expanding the summation:
    floor(1) + floor(21/3) + floor(31/3) + ... + floor(m1/3).

Use enough terms so that you can find out how many of the terms will be equal to 1, to 2, to 3, and so on. That's what I would start with.
  8. I'd be willing to offer some help but I can't quite read you equations! Could you try and format them a bit better?
  9. Mark44

GogoDancer12 wants to find a closed for expression for
    [tex]\sum_{k = 0}^m \lfloor k^{1/3}\rfloor[/tex]

The [itex]\lfloor[/itex] and [itex]\rfloor[/itex] symbols are for the "floor" function, the greatest integer less than or equal to the specified argument.
  10. exactly :smile:
  11. Mark44

Again, try expanding as I suggested in post #6. You're going to get a bunch of terms that are 1, a bunch that are 2, and so forth. See if you can figure a way to count how many 1s, 2s, and so forth.
  12. after expanding the summation I got this :

13. Mark44

And that works if m is, say, 64?
  14. after expanding the summation some more I got this:

and I'm still lost.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  15. Mark44

How many 1s are there? How many 2s? 3s? Can you find any pattern? At what value of k do the 1s turn to 2s? Do the 2s turn to 3s? Are you sure the last number will be m?
  16. Here's a tip: look at the inverse function of [itex]x^{1/3}[/itex], which is [itex]x^{3}[/itex]. Then you'll see this that:

[tex]\left\lfloor k^{1/3}\right\rfloor=1 \Rightarrow k \in \left[1,2^{3}\left[=\left[1,8\left[[/tex]

[tex]\left\lfloor k^{1/3}\right\rfloor=2 \Rightarrow k \in \left[2^{3},3^{3}\left[=\left[8,27\left[[/tex]

and so on...

From this you should be able to count the number of 1,2,etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?